Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get my cd drives to work.  (Read 3833 times)

Luke Newton

Can't get my cd drives to work.
« on: October 20, 2004, 03:02:23 PM »
I helped my aunt buy a sony vaio out of a news paper. We've probly had it about two weeks but no one has really messed with it until I came over to put some antivirus and spyware protection on. When I put the disc in nothing happened which suprised me because it always boots on it's own. So I went to MY COMPUTER to get it to run that way only to figure out that the only drive that was there was the memory stick/floppy. I have searched through the computer and I can't find any traces of the dvdr/w  cdr/w combo or compact disc  drives. THey will eject and that's about it. I called the guy and he said all he did was reboot everything before he put it up for sale, and the only thing he changed was that he made it boot from cd instead of hard drive. I have all the system recovery disc and I told him I would run them again and let him know what happened. But today I found out you can't run them when your cd drives won't read them. Please help someone, I know enough about rebooting if I can just get led in the right way. The two drives I can't get to work is...The top one is a dvdr/rw andd cdr/rw combo The second one is just a compact disc. Please help me find these drives.

merlin_2

Re: Can't get my cd drives to work.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 03:12:50 PM »
download the reg patch called cdgone>http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm  three-quarters down the webpage...

Luke Newton

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 03:35:26 PM »
I ran the piatch and a notepad popped up and said this. I have no Idea what it means but the drives didn't show up.
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 03:57:29 PM »
reboot pc and keep tapping the f8 key and chose the last good config....and scan for nastys...you may have a trojan/worm on you pc ....or go into the bios hit the del key on boot and alter the booting to...boot from cdrom...