Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Do I need video card  (Read 3820 times)

Jose

Do I need video card
« on: October 21, 2004, 11:46:33 AM »
I am starting to put together a new computer to replace my old one.  The most intensive work I will be doing is basic home movie editing to prepare DVD's.  Do you guys suggest I get a video card or will the on-board video memory be enough for this type of work?  If I need one, which type of card and how much memory do you recommend?  Thanks

Raptor

Re: Do I need video card
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 12:25:51 PM »
What kind of onboard videocard is present?

If you wish to edit DVD's and other types of movie formats you will need a powerful videocard. I doubt that there are on-board videocards that are as powerful as the latest expansion card videocards.

Jose

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 01:47:14 PM »
I have not decided on a motherboard yet.  I suspected I wouild need the video card anyway.  Do you think 64 or 128 MB will be enough or should I go with 256?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 01:59:25 PM »
There are more factors that play a role than the amount of megabyte.

If you are into editing DVD's and creating your own movies, you'll want something more powerful than when you only want to place movies on a CD and leave them untouched. I suggest you gather information from dedicated computer stores or Multi-media stores that specialize in movie/sound editing.

How Stuff Works - How Video Editing Works

There's not much else we can do for you. Unless someone here is interested in editing film, you will have to gather more information.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 02:04:31 PM »
I have not decided on a motherboard yet.  I suspected I wouild need the video card anyway.  Do you think 64 or 128 MB will be enough or should I go with 256?

Use this to compare:  http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DXPS3RS&s=dhs

It looks as if AGP Video and the PCI Bus are out and PCI Express is in.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1087
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 02:07:23 PM by Computer_Commando »