Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "SVCHost... memory could not be written" on shut down  (Read 3134 times)

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
    "SVCHost... memory could not be written" on shut down
    « on: April 25, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »
    I would like to apologize in advance for the lack of information that I am able to provide you with.

first off: windows xp sp 2.  norton internet security 2007.  any other system info you need? (i know I probably missed tons)

well the problem is that on occasion, when I shut down my compuer, everything will go normally, until windows goes to the blue screen when it says "windows is shutting down"  then I get a message that says something to the extent of SVCHost...memory could not be written click okay to terminate the program"

Unfortunately, this message dissapears on its own and the computer shuts down to quickly for me to record the entire message, but I tried to pick out the "best" parts for you.

Also, the message does not appear every time I shut down, but only occasionaly, and I can't think of anything that might be causing it, I basically always run the same programs (firefox, solitaire, aim, norton,-pretty basic stuff, nothing to "unusual")

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW...

can you think of anything sort of... general but specific that could be causing this (your probably gonna' say that it could be anything, right?)

is there a way to "pause" the shut down so that I can copy down the full error message?

and lastly-
    is it serious?  like, if i don't find a solution, could it be something eating away at my computer for years, untill one day... 

or if i ignore it, will there be no real consequences, since the message dissapears on its own, even if I don't his okay. currently, it doesn't bother me.

once again, I apologize for the vagueness, but any help at all would be appreciated. ;)

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: "SVCHost... memory could not be written" on shut down
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:25:40 AM »
    Last shall be first - it could be serious, depends on the cause.

I think you should test your Ram with Memtest86 free from here...

Comments on various forums indicate the problem could be with software, specifically Java and anti-virus but no definite conclusion.

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 06:09:20 PM »
      I think you should test your Ram with Memtest86 free from here...

I tested my RAM with memtest, and everything was fine.

Comments on various forums indicate the problem could be with software, specifically Java and anti-virus but no definite conclusion.

Yeh, I used google, and didn't find any real solid answers.  and I guess I should of mentioned that this only started happening since I installed Norton internet security 2007, coincidence?  I think not.  I checked their website, which in the past has had many solutions to problems related to their products, but this time... nothing.

I guess all I really want to know is if its that serious, because, it doesn't bother me if I don't find a solution, as the message goes away on its own, and I have had no other problems.   I'm really just afraid that it might lead to something worse than this...

BTW- thanks dusty!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 07:55:26 PM »

I tested my RAM with memtest, and everything was fine.

I used google, and didn't find any real solid answers.  and I guess I should of mentioned that this only started happening since I installed Norton internet security 2007, coincidence?  I think not. 

In that case I don't believe you have anything to worry about as the problem is 99% software related - I left out the other 1% in case I'm wrong again.

Just chalk up yet another negative point to Norton.... and think about changing to something else.

Cheers.
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 06:42:47 AM »
      I'd ditch Norton 2007 and get AVG Free if you suspect it of causing problems.