Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video card gone??? Can't play music/games or get online  (Read 5228 times)

oregantrail

Video card gone??? Can't play music/games or get online
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:36:44 AM »
hey, i was updating my video card driver (geforce4 ti 4200) and I went into add/remove programs to remove my old drivers. I think I removed something else (it had NVIDIA in it) and the computer said it must restart. When it restarted, my screen was adjusted so that part of desktop was off of the monitor. I then discovered that I could not get online and that my updated driver I had downloaded for my graphics card would not install (could not locate any drivers compatible with your hardware). Now I do not know what to do. I am using an ASUS a7n8x motherboard that uses nForce 2. Perhaps I uninstalled something relating to nforce?? The Direct X Diagnostic Tool lists no information under DEVICE and under drivers it lists the vga information. Under notes, its says the system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the manufacturer hardware. I no longer have my asus or nvidia cd so I cannot use those. In Device Manager, there is no listing for Display Adapters and almost everything with NVIDIA in it (such as NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking adapter or NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge) has an ! by it. Also, I am using an AMD 2600+ processor on windows xp professional. Well thanks for your help guys I really need it!

tr3wth

Re: Video card gone??? Can't play music/games or get online
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:02:55 PM »
it sounds like you deleted your chipset drivers heres a link to a site which has drivers for your motherboard http://www.nforcershq.com/article24.html good luck!

oregantrail

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 03:32:57 PM »
hmm i tried installing 3 different versions of the chipset drivers (I am almost 100% certain that you were correct in this is what I removed) but it begins set-up goes to the installation wizard and then crashes to the desktop. I tried using Driver Cleaner and then I cleared the registry with Reg-Seeker but nothing seems to work. It just keeps crashing at the same point no whatever what version or how many times I try to install. Well any help is appreciated.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 05:24:02 PM »
Have you tried System Restore? Alsways good to have a restore point BEFORE you make a major change just in case.  ;)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 09:14:11 AM »
Can you open Device Manager?  It's surely going to show some yellow triangles, some unknown devices.  You might try correcting your problems by starting from within Device Manager.  In other, initiate driver installation/update from Device Manager and keep at it until everything there appears normal.

Joe_Flanagan

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 10:26:24 AM »
If you did in fact wipe your mobo (chipset) drivers, you can get them here :
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
Enter all the appropriate info in the fields to the right.

The file you need will be under the Utilities tab, after you make all the entries.
NOT BIOS Utility !
It will be named something like "nf2v116_wxp" and be of about 16MB in size.
But again, verify everything before selecting your download.

Also if you have have your mobo's driver(s) CD you could use that instead.