Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recover files after system restore????  (Read 2454 times)

robqx4

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Recover files after system restore????
    « on: April 28, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »
    My Windows XP had a very strange glitch happen the other day where I went to click on an icon on my desktop to open a program and all of a sudden everything on my desktop disappeared accept my recycle bin, my documents folder and the my computer icon and also my wallpaper picture was gone. I clicked on my start button and went into the all programs area
    to find that all the program folders were there but they were all mysteriously empty! So the next thing I do was I restarted the computer only to find that nothing had changed at all. So I quickly did a system restore back to the day before only to find that I was missing alot of word documents I had created over the last few weeks had not been restored and all of my Thunderbird emails were completely gone!! So before I paniced I ran a few File Recovery programs like: GetDataBack NTFS, O&O DiskRecovery, Active FileRecovery 7.1 & many more using the UBCD only to find that every one of these programs would not recover anything before the system restore! They all would find the same files that had already been restored with the system restore nothing before!!
    What the heck happened to my files that I know I had before the restore???
    Where are they on my hard drive and what program if any will find them for me??????????
    I REALLY would like some help here if possible!

Thanks,

Robqx4

Raptor

Re: Recover files after system restore????
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 02:00:47 PM »
    Is system restore really that horrible? 

Try PC File Inspector to get your files back.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »
    System restore does not touch data files...those files must have been damaged/moved or removed prior to this...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 04:37:42 PM »
    And yet another testimony that a hard drive is a poor choice for the only location of important data files.