Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Won't fully start  (Read 3274 times)

cwinkel

Won't fully start
« on: April 30, 2007, 07:58:59 AM »
Please help.  My compaq computer (XP Home) will not fully boot up.  When I turn it on, it will get to the Windows XP start up page, but before going any further the computer restarts.  If left alone, this cycle will repeat over and over. 

I have not had any success starting in safe mode.

Two recent changes to the computer - Installing McAfee Internet Security Suite, a number of updates downloaded (finally got highspeed internet at home.)

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Won't fully start
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:42:38 AM »
    Did the problem begin before or after you install McAfee & the updates / backed up all your stuff / got a shiny windows CD / tried Last Known Good Configuration?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

bayern

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:54:13 AM »
    Well, McAfee is likely your problem. I hav seen lot of computers having problems after installing McAfee. It should renamed to McAfraid, be very very afraid...
    And good luck uninstalling it completely, do a google on "how to uninstall McAfee first."

Also what other things did you installed?

B.

cwinkel

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 08:55:41 AM »
    After installing McAffee.  After updates.  Stuff not backed up (yes I'm an idiot).  No shiny new cd.  Tried last known good configuragion.  Didn't work.

cwinkel

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »
    I am not sure what updates were installed.

Is there a way to uninstall McAfee if I can't even get the thing fully started?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 01:42:38 PM »
      If, at this point you can't even get into SM or LKGC, is to run a restore from the second partition. 

"DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER". 

This process may or may not wipe the drive clean of EVERYTHING.  If you can't afford to lose your stuff you may have to take the computer to a friend (you have friends, right  ;) ) pull the drive & hook it up to their system to pull you data off, then reinstall the OS from the other partition.

If no friends (bummer  :-[ ) then take it to a shop.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

cwinkel

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:05:46 PM »
      Thank you for your time.

Very helpful

bayern

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 10:27:07 PM »
      Hmmm, hate to say this, but it doesn't sound like there's much hope besides a full re-installation. Before you do that though, do what Alan said, get the data off.

Just for future reference, be careful with what you download and install, I would urge you to stay away from any McAfee and Norton antivirus products. Also stay away form some random so called antivirus program show up on you web page, they are untrustworthy, some of them might even be a virus itself!  :o

I highly recommand AVG, it's free, not subscription require, frequent update... what more can you ask for?  ;D  Use adaware and spybot to clean up your comp once or twice a week. (Both are free as well). Regclean is another nice piece freeware, use it to clean up the registry once so often. But use Regclean with CARE!, read the instructions first, because it not used properly, it will make some of your programs unusable.

Hope this help.

B.