Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: batch file to substitute drive letter  (Read 5482 times)

Elisa

batch file to substitute drive letter
« on: October 21, 2004, 11:56:27 AM »
Hi,

I'm not terribly dos-literate, but I did manage to create a batch file to substitute a drive letter for a folder. I created a file in notepad that read: "subst Z: C:\Animation" and saved it as z.bat in C>Documents and Settings>All Users>Start Menu> Programs>Startup. I got the majority of the artists on my project to do the same.

Two have not been able to do so. They create the file, but no "Z" drive is created on startup.  :'(

Both are using upgrade versions of Windows XP from previous versions.

Any suggestions on how they can get this "virtual z drive" up?  ??? In order for our project to be successful, all artists need to have the same file structure.

Thanks!

-Elisa

merlin_2

Elisa

Re: batch file to substitute drive letter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:58:35 PM »
Thanks, Merlin, for responding.

I already checked out this page- it's part of how I came up with the original text for the z.bat file that works for the majority of my artists, but it does NOT work for the two who have upgraded from a previous version of windows. Do you have any idea why and what they could do to get this to work?

Thanks.

merlin_2

Elisa

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 01:40:38 PM »
I'm sorry, but I don't see the relevence of this link. Could you please explain how it relates? Thanks in advance for your help.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 02:37:45 PM »
sorry about the last link...the kids are playing up see if this helps>http://www.soft14.com/software_program_000013.htm?prg=113

Elisa

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 02:59:19 PM »
Ah! I can really see how this one relates.  ;)

It looks really good- I'll have to get them to try it and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks! :D