Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Invalid Sytem Disk, and much more  (Read 2108 times)

JesseJoyce

Invalid Sytem Disk, and much more
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:46:43 PM »
Okay heres my long and complicated problem. Thanks for even reading this :)

Okay my old PC is pretty old, Ive had it since I was like 13, im 19 now, poor thing is probably ready for the grave, but I want to see if I can save it one more time. And Im not  great with computers, i just know a little bit here and there, but i catch on fast, most of the time.Now I cant remeber what excatly i did to it cause I got mad and shoved it in my closet 6 mtnhs and just now decide to see if I can do anything to it. Um I also cant find my windows 98 cd, but i can borrow one from friend, but i have no boot floppy disk for windows 98 anymore and my friend refuses to make me one, she swears it wont work on mine( anything has to work better than nodda). Now it wasnt working all that well before I tried to fix it, but it was working, working without any sound and barely any color, Im guessing the sound card is dead ect, but it served its purpose, it had msn.

Now I had got tired of it being slow, and had too much junk on it so I wiped it completely clean,reformated it and all, then reinstalled windows 98, it was working okay. Then I got this silly and oh so stupid idea to install windows 2000 on it, borrowed the cd from my neighbour and installed it. Bad, bad idea. First it wouldnt even turn on, then it wouldnt go any further then the windows 2000 screen, where it loads. So without knowing how I tried to install windows98 back in. I just messed it up more. Now all it does it turn on and you can press DEL to go to a few settings, but after that it just says over and over again no matter what you press " Invalid system disk, replace the disk, and then press any key" I put my burned windows 2000 copy in and it says the same. And you cant get the DOS commands to work, you cant even type anything at all.

Is it beyond hope? Should I just drop it off at the shop and have them try to fix it? Or just use it for pieces? Thanks to anyone who offers any help, its greatly apperciated.

GX1_Man

Re: Invalid Sytem Disk, and much more
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 06:51:42 PM »
Boot disks can be downloaded for free at www.bootdisk.com

We don't help with "borrowed" software on this forum, so you might want to try google for specific information.  ;)

JesseJoyce

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »
Well at least I know where to get the boot disks now, thank you very much :)

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:00:15 AM »
I'm not sure why Windows 2000 didn't work, but my guess is that you didn't install it properly. And chances are high that your system was only designed for Windows 98SE and below so reinstall that.

As for your soundcard/videocard being 'dead'; No. You need to obtain drivers from the manufacturers webpage before they'll work.