Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Puzzler with conflicting software  (Read 3428 times)

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
    Puzzler with conflicting software
    « on: April 30, 2007, 08:07:19 AM »
    I installed the Picture Browser software that came with a Sony Camcorder. Everything works nicely as far as downloading from camera and viewing. However, when I open the Windows folder the downloaded video files are in, the window immediately closes and gives me a send error message dialog box. Here is the real puzzler. I did the same thing on my laptop with no problems. Memory isn't a problem. One other thing that might be a clue. When the window closes the icons for Ghost and Sound Volume in the Sys Tray disappear. Wow what a weird chain for events. I have a Dell running XP & SP2 with a third party sound card (Creative) and Symantics Ghost. Do you think one of these could be in conflict with the new software? Take your best shot Patio.
    Memories fade with time, replenish them with new experiences.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Puzzler with conflicting software
      « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:54:44 AM »
      Have you tried opening the files in Safe Mode / turned off the potential conflicting files in 'msconfig', rebooted and tried opening the files again?

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
        « Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 01:10:08 PM »
        No but I have used the msconfig before. What is the command for turning if off and on or is it a radio buttion type thing?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 01:49:52 PM »
          Start / run - type  msconfig.

System Properties opens / Startup tab @ far right.  There you will find many applications that start when Windows starts.  You 'uncheck' any program to turn it off...you are not deleting it, just telling windows "I don't want this program to start when windows does".  Select ONLY what you think is causing the problem.

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
            « Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 07:17:18 PM »
            Sorry I feel so dumb, I turn those *censored* things on and off all the time. Just a senior moment I guess. I will give it a try when I get home a week from today. It is hard not being able to try these things as you guys suggest but that is life. Thanks, will keep all updated.

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
              « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:24:37 AM »
              Well I returned home from two weeks away and tried the msconfig turn off of just about everything that loaded in my systray but the problem still remains. I have come to the conclusion that my computer does not have a mpeg2 codec installed and that is what is causing the problem. My laptop works fine so it isn't the camera software. Can you tell me where to get the mpeg2 codec and a bit about what it is used for. Thanks

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
                « Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:11:21 PM »
                Well I have tried turning off almost all of the startups in the msconfig dialog box and the MyPicture window that has any video from my new camera crashes. I get a send error message to Microsoft dialog box. I have tried just about everything to get it to just show up in the folder window.  I must have the mpeg2 codec because the clips will show in a little program that came with Dell Power DVD. I am just about to give up. Everything I have done on the laptop works great including a trial version of Vegas Movie Studio. I can import, edit, and do everything on the laptop but cannot open it in my desktop. I have lots of video clips from my digital still camera and all those work great but nothing will from the video. I am thinking maybe a conflict with the mpeg2 format but I am at a lose at this point.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:14:29 AM »
                  dhinds ........  I would contact support at Sony and give them all the details of what is happening . Give them the version of all the software that is related. I suggest this as I ran into a similar situation with a logitech webcam install recently. Whenever I would attempt to test several of the webcams features ,it would bring up up that same send error message . It turned out to be a software conflict and logitech had a fix for it.

dl65  ::)
                  If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
                    « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »
                    thanks I will give it a try. I spent two hours with Dell today including letting them take over my computer (didn't set right) and finally the floor manager got on an proceeded to "get rid of me". My consulation was two suggestions, reinstall the OS or install power DVD which they are sending me a CD for. I couldn't get them to understand that the problem was not playing the clip it was crashing Win. Explorer. I'll give sony a try too.