Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't delete an icon in My Computer folder  (Read 3705 times)

richard the third

I can't delete an icon in My Computer folder
« on: October 22, 2004, 10:09:31 PM »
Hi,

I uninstalled a camera driver from my PC since I returned the camera. The driver put an icon in the My Computer folder as an external drive. Now it left this icon in the My Computer folder. No matter what I do, it won't go away. It won't let me drag it to the recycle bin. I went in to the regestry with RegEdit, but I can't find it. Does anyone know where all these icons in the My Computer folder are kept?

Richard.

John Chain

Re: I can't delete an icon in My Computer folder
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 11:16:56 PM »
If it gives you the message "access denied" when trying to delete it, then that means this "icon" is still being used by a running process. Reboot your computer and before the windows screen starts to load up tap the F8 key a couple times and then select 'safe mode" (when you are at that screen it's self-explanitory). In safe mode the computer only runs the processes needed to run the computer (this will be the fastest your computer will ever get). When you are in safe mode, nothing can be using your "icon" so you can delete whatever you want.

Richard_the_lll

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 12:04:32 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. I tried to boot it up in safe mode, and tried to drag the icon to the recycle bin, it still won't let me. This is driving me crazy!  :o Where are the icons stores in the PC, do you know?

Richard.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 04:35:06 AM »
Depending on the kind of storage Windows views your camera as, can you not remove it from (Right click) My Computer -> Manage -> Disk management?

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 10:50:53 AM »
you  may uninstall the camera program but it may leave bits behind....search the program folder or the windows folder for the program...or download a cleaner like system mechanic from iolo.com....