Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 computers, 1 modem  (Read 3844 times)

matt

2 computers, 1 modem
« on: October 22, 2004, 11:42:49 PM »
Hi there,

We have 2 computers in this house, 1 upstairs 1 downstairs. I've had broadband internet on the computer upstairs for about 4 months now on a 500mb plan but I've just upgraded to unlimited and now want to put internet on the computer downstairs.

I have a Thompson Speedtouch 530 ADSL modem and right now it connects via a USB cable. I want to know how to run the computer downstaris off this modem aswell as the one upstairs at the same time.
The modem has a phone line input, a usb output and there's also a network socket there too but I'm not sure if its an input or output type.

I'm thinking I can just get a usb Y adaptor that splits from usb 2.0 into 2 usb 1.1 cables and run either cable to the computers.
What can I do?
Thanks

Raptor

Re: 2 computers, 1 modem
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 04:45:30 AM »
You will require either a Router or a Hub. I suggest you got for a Router. Once you have obtained a Router, documentation will explain you how to set up your network.

matt

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 03:53:17 PM »
I did some research on the matter and I've found it has a router built in, I think
http://shop.101internet.co.uk/thomson_speedtouch_530.htm

Some web sites are suggesting I install a network card in my computer then just run a network cable from the modem to my computer?????????

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 05:21:34 PM »
USB can only be used for 1 computer.  You must use ethernet (which you should be using for even 1 computer).  USB was never intended for use as an internet connection.  It is very inefficient.

The ethernet port on your modem must be connected to a separate router.  Calling your modem a router is incorrect.  It is an ADSL modem.  Look here:  http://www.dvdirect.com.au/catalogue/category1023/product3472
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 05:22:05 PM by Computer_Commando »

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 12:32:08 PM »
you  must have the filters>have a look at the bottom of this webpage wiring>http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/summary.asp  a cat5 cable...the best place in the uk is scan.co.uk
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 12:33:39 PM by merlin_2 »

matt

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 10:22:10 PM »
Ok looks like I might need to invest in a Ethernet switch

There is 1 Ethernet port on the modem if I just run the telephone cable from the filter (which I have) to the Ethernet port on the modem then a Ethernet cable from the port to a Ethernet switch then run 2 more Ethernet cables to each computer's network card and I just get rid of the usb cable.

Does this sound right?