Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE problems for win98  (Read 2210 times)

laptophelp

IE problems for win98
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:47:16 PM »
thanks for the reply....I have found the driver and the ethernet card works and i can getr on line with my cable line....but now i have another problem...my internet explorer is having errors on almost every page and says it's perfoming an illegal action and it closes..what is the cause of this....is just this just an outdated and doesn't work anymore...i tried to go to the microsoft internet explorer website to download updates....but my IE has problems with scripts and syntax errors and the page rarely is able to load at all...or if it does load it barely loads, leaving out many words and images...is there a way of solving this problem other than using windows 2000....should i just toss this notebook to the graveyard?....it is from 1998...The reason i ask if there is another way than using windows is cause than when i do format the notebook with 2000 it runs kinda slow cause it's an old notebook.. please reply...thanks

I have a sony vaio 200mhz MMX Technology, 2.0 GB HD, 128 MB ram...

Raptor

Re: IE problems for win98
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:59:08 PM »
You need to install and download Internet Explorer 6(Click)or you'll get scripting errors because IE is and has always been an unstable browser.

You're going to have to download it on another PC and move it to your PC by means other than your web browser.

Do it only to get the few remaining Windows 98 updates and then switch to Firefox.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:34:25 PM »
laptophelp, you said "the notebook with 2000 it runs kinda slow".  So, you've recently reinstalled Win 98SE?  Is that correct?

After a fresh installation of Win 98SE, you really should not be having such problems.  Did you get online with that computer without firewall protection after your last install of Win 98SE?  Doing so can lead to problems quickly, by picking up malware off the Internet. 

I suggest you format and install Win 98SE again.  Then, install a firewall BEFORE going online.  Can you download a firewall program with another computer and burn it to a CD?  I'll suggest Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 04:29:16 AM »
After a fresh installation of Win 98SE, you really should not be having such problems.  Did you get online with that computer without firewall protection after your last install of Win 98SE?  Doing so can lead to problems quickly, by picking up malware off the Internet.

That's not true. Windows 98SE might come with IE <6 and that'll cause a lot of scripting errors.. See my post.