Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help accessing cdrom drive in config.sys  (Read 2017 times)

Ryan OD

Need help accessing cdrom drive in config.sys
« on: May 04, 2007, 12:35:51 PM »
I need to make a boot floppy that grants cdrom access in the beginning of config.sys

Normally to access a cdrom from a bootable dos floppy, an entry needs to be added to both config.sys (which binds a driver to the cdrom) and then one in autoexec.bat (which binds a drive letter to the cdrom).

My problem is I need to give the cdrom a driver AND give it a drive letter BEFORE autoexec.bat comes into play (at the top of config.sys no less) this way I'll be able to have my config.sys lines use the cdrom path for their data.

What I've tried:
Config.sys in the A:\ drive with a cd in the cdrom drive with information on the cd located "D:\NETNET\3C90X\NTSTS.DOS"
---------
Test1:
DEVICEHIGH=A:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001
install A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L: D

DEVICEHIGH=D:\NETNET\3C90X\NTSTS.DOS
set? a= did it load the above with no errors?
(can't access the D drive.. so this didn't work)
(Turns out "install" lines run AFTER all other config.sys lines.. so this doesn't help)
---------
Test2:
DEVICEHIGH=A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L: D

(freezes after oakcdrom.sys line)
---------
Test3:
DEVICE=A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L: D

(freezes after oakcdrom.sys line)

The only other idea I have at this point is from a thread online I read, there was mention of a dos shim that allows one to load drivers from autoexec.bat.. however no mention of said shim's name or a url to said shim (and I've looked all over and had no luck in my search for one thus far)

So thats where I'm at.. There has to be some way to do this. Any advice on how I can accomplish this would be much appreciated.