Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: usb 2.0 ports not working!!! HELP!!!!!!  (Read 2330 times)

haza124

usb 2.0 ports not working!!! HELP!!!!!!
« on: May 04, 2007, 04:14:43 PM »
Please help somebody!!!!  :'( I have bought an acer 5100 (5102wlmi) in January and the problem is that I have three USB ports, one is USB 1.1 which is working fine however the other two are USB 2.0 and are not working at all, I read somewhere else that I should try uninstalling all of the universal serial bus's from the device manager option however this did not work, XP does actually pick up that there is new hardware and re-installs all three USB ports, but the same two do not pick up anything i.e. when I connect a USB stick, printer, anything then the computer just won't even recognize it is even there, however I recently installed another USB stick today, maybe that was the problem but on the port that is working (the 1.1), the USB stick has no problems. I have read I other places where people are saying to do stuff to the motherboard, but I do not understand all of that technical stuff, and I do not wish to send my laptop for repairs to acer, because god knows how long it'll take before I get it back, I wouldn't even be bothered because I have a USB hub anyway but because the ones that are not working are the USB 2.0's and I have a few other devices which only work on these ports, I am sure there must be a much simpler way, I am extremely grateful for any suggestions, thank you

GX1_Man

Re: usb 2.0 ports not working!!! HELP!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 04:16:58 PM »
How about turning off the caps lock key. and use a paragraph or two to make it easier to read. Perhaps someone will respond to that.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 05:11:09 PM »
Laptops are not designed for user-friendly repairs...if neither of the 2.0 ports are working i'm afraid this is indeed a shop issue...
Course you might want to check the settings in the BIOS. If this is unfamiliar territory then have a knowledgeable friend walk you thru it...it's no place to fool around in.

( Note to GX: i still see no paragraphs but thank goodness i wasn't here for the capslock )
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 05:36:08 PM »
How about turning off the caps lock key. and use a paragraph or two to make it easier to read. Perhaps someone will respond to that.

I can only see one big piece of black with the occasional dent .. Much like silhouettes.

haza124

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 03:19:06 PM »
for any1 else who has this problem, dont do anything even slightly technical!

all i did was put my laptop battery in (because i normally just use AC) then i used it with that for around 1 hour, then i changed the sockets, because i was using it in different rooms and then all of a sudden the usb 2.0 ports started workin again,

now they're workin fine

i do  NOT understand the logic in that but it was as simple as that, and thanks to those of you who tried to help me, it is much appreciated.

;D  THANK YOU  ;D 

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 03:27:35 PM »
PeckerWood thought this was funny. ???
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.