Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OMG!! Uninstalled/disabled all video cards=No monitor! HELP!!!  (Read 5960 times)

blucifixtion

I, like an idiot, clicked 'disable" to the Nvidia GEForce FX 5200 video card because I thought it was overheating my computer. Little did I know, that when my husband installed it, he had disabled the integrated video card on my computer! Now, I have nothing on the monitor. I can enter bios, boot menu and safe mode screen (will not load in safe mode at all, just shows lines and lines of code) but I can't get anything on my monitor.
How in the world do I reinstall the drivers or re-enable the video card to make my computer work again?!?!?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: OMG!! Uninstalled/disabled all video cards=No monitor! HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 02:35:55 AM »
Did he disable the onboard video within Windows or from the BIOS?
You may be able to re-enable it from the BIOS - you're getting video from somewhere or you wouldn't be able to see it (you can see it, right?  That's what I understand from your post anyway)
When you say it won't load in safe mode and shows lines and lines of code, what is actually displayed?
Have you tried leaving it for a while?

blucifixtion

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 03:28:01 AM »
I'm sure he disabled it from windows.
When I go into bios, there is only the option to change video from VGA to PSI (i think it said psi)
I've tried booting in VGA mode- nothing
Took out the battery - nothing
tried booting from last successful boot - nothing
tried safe mode- just lines of text listing drivers
I've removed the Nvidia card and tried plugging the monitor into the regular monitor slot- nothing.

When I turn the computer on, I get a huge E (emachines) on the screen with "intel celeron d" in the bottom left corner and "F10 for boot, F2 for bios" in the bottom right corner.
It will then show "Microsoft XP" with a loading bar under it. Then nothing.

My comp is a E-machines T3958, the motherboard is Sea----something?

how in the *censored* can I tell my machine to enable the integrated video card without having a monitor??? I'm freaking out here!!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 03:50:37 AM »
For safe mode, after the lines of code stop, what do you do?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 03:51:02 AM »
How long did you leave your CMOS battery out with the
power plug removed?

Try letting it sit about 30 minutes.

Now, re-install the CMOS battery and plug your power
back in,then boot the computer.

You could just have a bad CMOS battery and need to
get a new one.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 06:12:44 AM »
Were you plugged into the onboard video after you chose AGP as primary display in the BIOS?

blucifixtion

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 03:18:29 PM »
After the lines of code stop- I wait and nothing happens. Then I turn the computer off and try again.

I haven't taken the battery out for more than 10 minutes. I'll try that. Also, I just put a new battery in to make sure that wasn't the problem.

I'm going to try working on it again. Any more suggestions?

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »
Were you plugged into the onboard video after you chose AGP as primary display in the BIOS?

You need to answer the questions so we do not get stuck here.

blucifixtion

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 03:31:31 PM »
I've tried it both ways. I changed the video to VGA in the bios and plugged the monitor into both the Nvidia slot  and then tried the integrated video slot. My monitor is blank when in the NVidia slot but absolutely black with no signal at all in the integrated slot.
I tried changing the video in Bios to PSI (or whatever that one is) and plugging the monitor into both again.

I just took the battery out and while I was sitting there, with the battery out, my computer turned on by itself and booted. Of course, there is nothing on the monitor when all is said and done.

I disconnected the power supply and have left the battery out. I guess I will wait about an hour and try it again.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 03:35:34 PM »
Do you have a real Windows CD? You could do a repair install with either video adapter.

Is it PSI or PCI?

What is the computer or motherboard make and model?

blucifixtion

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 03:38:13 PM »
I'm sorry, it's PCI.  My computer is a Emachines T3958 2.93 ghz, 1 gig ram
the motherboard is a Sea---something? I can't access that right now so I can't tell you accurately.
I've already done the soft restore via hitting F11. It didn't come with a windows disk.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 04:45:51 PM »
The soft restore will revert to factory settings, which means the onboard adapter. Be sure you are connected to the right port.  ;)

blucifixtion

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »
I'm definately connected to the right port. E-machines support said it must be a hardware issue and take it to a shop.
I've plugged 3 monitors in- all the same thing, I can watch "microsoft xp" load and then nothing.
I'm assuming I screwed something up more severly. The end result of booting just won't show up. 
Guess it's time to buy another cpu :|
How the *censored* will I get all my info from the other harddrive? Slave it to the new one?
What a f'ing mess.

blucifixtion

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 02:24:19 AM »
UPDATE: So I did a complete hard system restore (oh the things I lost) but it fixed the problem. So, don't have to buy a new computer but I do have to bang my head for eternity for doing something so stupid.
My computer overheats with the case closed still. Can anyone give me some advice on buying a new computer case?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 02:39:33 AM »
Very simple way is to leave the case open....
Another way is to clean the inside of the computer with a cloth or compressed air (never vaccum it). Make sure the fan isn't covered with dust and perhaps add another fan or try to keep the computer in a cool room, not a boiling room or not where the sun is reflecting off it.
If you maintain your case properly, you might not need a new case.