Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help with unrecongized devices.  (Read 3603 times)

wireless dummy

Please help with unrecongized devices.
« on: May 06, 2007, 04:39:33 PM »
I installed a Belkin 54G wireless card per included instructions. Computer was runnnig very slow, so I reinstalled Windows XP Home. Now I cannot get the the computer to recognize the wireless card or the modem in Device Manager. What do I do?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Please help with unrecongized devices.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 04:47:46 PM »
Re-install the Belkin device drivers...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 04:49:44 PM »
What is the make and model of the computer or motherboard. You should take the wireless card out, install the drivers for it and then shut down, install the wireless card and reboot.

The modem will have speciaql drivers for it as well, so we will have to identify it's make and model. If you do not know, download Everest Home and run a report. It will tell you EVERYTHING about the computer.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

wireless dummy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
Hey, Wow! The wireless card is working and getting a great signal! I tried this once before, but it did not seem to work. Thanks.

OK, I am not out of woods yet.

I still cannot connect to the Internet. I don't know what I am doing with Internet options in IE.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 05:57:24 PM »
Try running the Internet Connection Wizard. Make sure you have virus and spyware protection loaded first. You will be infected within minutes if not.  ;)

wireless dummy

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 06:12:11 PM »
OK. I am running the Internet Connection Wizard, but I don't know if I am choosing the correct options. I want to connect to the internet thru a common wireless router, set up a local area network and secure it with a password.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 06:15:16 PM »
Get connected before using encryption, if possible. If the router is already set, make sure you have the correct WEP or WPA information. If there are other unsecured networks around you, you might try connecting there to verify everything is working OK.

wireless dummy

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 06:35:32 PM »
The router is not already set, nor do I know how to set it.
There is an unsecured network nearby does enable connection to the Internet. However, I cannot connect to my own LAN/router.  I can connect with the other 2 PC's in the house.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 06:47:18 PM by wireless dummy »

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »
Well if you can connect to the other PC's you are almost there. What kind of router is it?

Did you run Connection Wizard and choose "I want to connect through a LAN"? You also have to make sure you have the same workgroup as the other machines, but a different computer name.

We can secure all of this later.

wireless dummy

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 08:15:39 PM »
Thanks, and this helps, but I continue to struggle. I keep losing my Internet connection. Probably because I am choosing the wrong options. When I click on IE it keeps trying to do a dial-up connection.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 08:31:26 PM »
Did you run Connection Wizard and choose "I want to connect through a LAN"? You also have to make sure you have the same workgroup as the other machines, but a different computer name.

It is in Program Files/Internet Explorer/Connection Wizard/INETWIZ.EXE

Did you do that?

wireless dummy

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 09:17:10 PM »
Yes, I have run the Internet Connection Wizard several times. The 1st dialogue box gives 4 options; connect to the Internet, connect to the network at my workplace, set up a home or small office network or set up an advanced connection.

Option 3 is the only one that make sense for what I want to do.

The 4th dialogue box does not show my wireless card, so I check "Ignore disconnected hardware.

In tThe 5th dialogue box, option 3 is the only one that makes sense for what I need to do.

TIn the 6th dialogue box, I believe the first optionis the best choice because I have a router connected to a wireless dish that I want all 3 computers to communicate with.

After running this, I still cannot get on the Internet.