Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes part way through new installation of Windows XP  (Read 2157 times)

dalawr30

I purchased a used Gateway SOLO 1.6 Model 600YGR Laptop Computer Notebook. It has 512 Ram. 20 Gig Hd and 1.6 GHz CPU. As I attempt to install Windows XP Pro with a known good disk, the files load, and it gets to the point where I accept the TOS and then freezes. Nothing entered on the keyboard at that point works. I have tried using a different hard drive with the same results. If I hit the pause key and then the enter key prior to reaching the TOS I can sometimes get to the point where it is loading files. However the furthest I have succeeded in getting is 9% of the files loaded before it again froze.  I have tried removing the ram chips one at a time (there ar two 256 chips) and putting them one at a time in opposite slots. No change whether they are both installed or just one. Not sure where to go from here or what further to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

GX1_Man

Re: Computer freezes part way through new installation of Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:40:48 AM »
First thing is to test the RAM and the hard drive. www.memtest86.com for a free download for the RAM, and the hard drive maker's site for free diagnostics you can download.

By a "known good disk" does that mean a real Windows CD that says Microsoft all over it?

dalawr30

Re: Computer freezes part way through new installation of Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 06:03:34 AM »
Yes it is a genuine Windows disk that I have used before and again since to make sure there was no problem with it.