Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slipstreaming xp sp2  (Read 3284 times)

vkr15

Slipstreaming xp sp2
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:25:59 AM »
Used autostreamer to slipstream sp2 with xp home.
I find the program very intuitive and easy to use.
Am getting stuck however in burning the iso file to CD. Used Nero express 6.
The resultant iso file is approx 720 mb and program doesn't permit it to burn as CD capacity is 700 mb.
What am I doing wrong?
A quick check reveals that i386 folder is 466 mb and sp2( I used the sp2 cd) is 266 mb: so the resultant file will always be more  than the capacity of a CD.
How do I resolve this?
Thanks.
vkr15

contrex

Re: Slipstreaming xp sp2
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:31:21 AM »
Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 into a bootable XP disk.

Locate and download from Microsoft.com, when available, the administrative install version of Windows XP Service Pack 2, yes the whole 266.01 megs. Let's just assume that the downloaded SP2 file name will be XPSP2.exe. You might also wish to locate a program called cdimage.exe, about 108k. It's available on the web and places like: unattended.msfn.org. Look in the "Using...CDImage Tool to create the ISO" section. It's also on many other "windows enthusiast" or "freak" sites. You will also need to download or extract the 2048 byte XP boot loader from your CD. Some may call it the "boot sector," but for the record, it's 4 x 512 byte sectors making it 2048 bytes. Isobuster will extract the boot loader from your CD. Also be aware that all WINtel X86 computers start executing code at location 07C0h.

Now, the procedure!
1.) Make a subdirectory on your hard drive and call it XP-SP2.
2.) Copy the contents of your XP disk into that subdirectory, write down your Volume Label.
3.) If XPSP2.exe is in your root directory (C:\), make an administrative (network) install of the service pack by typing:"XPSP2.exe /integrate:C:\XP-SP2\" either from a command prompt or using start->run in Windows.

This one command expands the service pack to a temporary directory and updates the contents of the C:\XP-SP2 subdirectory to SP2. Believe it or not it’s really done now and it's just a matter of simply making a bootable CD with the files from C:\XP-SP2\ .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 01:31:42 PM by contrex »

vkr15

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:01:03 AM »
  "Locate and download from Microsoft.com, when available, the administrative install version of Windows XP Service Pack 2, yes the whole 266.01 megs."
 I have all of this on a SP 2 CD and yes it is 266 mb.
 I have no problems upto creating the iso file with Autostreamer; but just can't burn this as Nero informs that its more than the capacity of the CD.
vkr15.

contrex

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 07:06:58 AM »
Is your XP install disc an original standard MS Windows disc or is it an OEM disk?

Standard Windows XP + Slipstream will produce disksize < 700 Mb

(1)

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-394086.php

Guy asks,

Used Autostreamer to produce an ISO of my Windows XP Pro disc which was
supplied by Compaq. Problem is, the file is 747360kb, too big to fit on a cd.
Is there a way of making the ISO smaller so it will fit on a CD?

Answer given,

There must be extra Compaq stuff on that Compaq XP Pro CD

(2)

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/pcmag_recovery

I have more than 700 MB of files, and they won't fit on a single CD. What do I do?

The original version of Windows XP slipstreamed with Service Pack 2 should be well under the 700-MB limit, and should fit on any standard CD-R. However, if you've ended up with more than 700 MB of files, then, obviously, they won't fit. This can happen if you're slipstreaming a CD that has been customized by your PC manufacturer (for instance, to include extra drivers), or if you've included too many third-party drivers yourself.

If this happens to you, you have a few choices. First, if you have a DVD burner, you can write the files to a DVD. If you don't, you can try deleting some of the unnecessary files (such as the VALUEADD, SUPPORT, cmpnents, WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG, and WINNTUPG folders) files in the hopes of reducing the size of the installation. Lastly, you can start over and try the process again.

Note: The aforementioned WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG, and WINNTUPG folders are used to upgrade from Win9x and WinNT/2000. If you're only installing over Windows XP (or installing on an empty system), you probably can safely delete these folders.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:25:31 AM by contrex »

vkr15

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 10:27:29 AM »
Hi Contrex,
I appreciate your patience in guiding me and thank you very much for the same. Yes indeed I have OEM disc and I can safely delete those folders you've mentioned. But i386 is a must for making a bootable CD which itself is 446 mb. Add to this 266 mb of sp2 and you've got over 700 mb.
But this statement:-

The original version of Windows XP slipstreamed with Service Pack 2 should be well under the 700-MB limit, and should fit on any standard CD-R.

is intriguing.
Thanks for those links--I'll read them and see if there is a workaround.
vkr15

contrex

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 01:36:44 PM »
But i386 is a must for making a bootable CD which itself is 446 mb. Add to this 266 mb of sp2 and you've got over 700 mb.

Either you are doing something wrong or your Windows install disk is an odd one.

The 266 Mb SP2 files are not added to the 446 Mb i386.

The slipstreaming process is intended to use files from the SP2 update to replace some of the older files in the i386 folder.

Then SP2 can be discarded.

It does not appear on the final disk.

vkr15

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.
vkr15