Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstallation of Dell Inpiron 1100  (Read 2971 times)

apayem

Reinstallation of Dell Inpiron 1100
« on: May 11, 2007, 02:30:39 AM »
Hi there,

I am going to reinstall my Dell Laptop, but I know that during settup you have to type some codes. And I don't know these.

So my question is that if someone knows how to reinstall a Dell Inpiron 1100 laptop to please help me out on this.

My system in not working properly and I tried different things already but they didn't work, so I'm going to have to reinstall Windows XP. I tried system restore, driver roll back, with Norton SystemWorks.

I have no other option unless there is a button I can press on my Laptop to restore it to factory settings.

I'm a newbee at computers so I don't know anything about solving computerproblems.

Help me out on this!

Andrew

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Reinstallation of Dell Inpiron 1100
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:06:24 AM »
Hi Andrew...

I don't have much (any) experience with laptops, but i'm assuming its the same deal as desktops.

firstly, what specifically is it thats wrong with it thats making it not work properly? maybe someone here could help with that...

If you really want to reinstall then back up any data you need/want.

when starting the machine up, enter the BIOS (usually by pressing the Del key or F1... it will tell you on the screen how to enter) and change the boot sequence to boot from the CD ROM first. Save & exit.

then put in the Windows CD and upon restarting it will ask you if you wish to boot from CD... press any key here and it should start, all you need to do is follow the on screen instructions...

Also, probably best to format the drive if you are going down this route.
but please remember and back up any important data

"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 05:26:16 AM »
Do you have a real Windows CD or a Dell reinstall CD? WHat does it say on there?

The boot order in BIOS is essential. CD must be before hard drive.

Anything you need to type in will be on the Windows COA sticker on the laptop. It is a 25 digit code.

apayem

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:09:06 AM »
Okee,

I'll try to describe what's wrong now with my laptop.

I had a problem with the C-drive, I was running out of diskspace. And my D-drive was not being used.
The C-drive has a total size of 9.76 GB now I only have 4.49 GB ;54% of diskspace left. It was 1.2 GB before I deleted some programmes . My D-drive has a total size of 27.4 GB and only 0.1 GB is being used, 1%. (Altoghether "40 GB")

Now I removed some programmes I wasn't using and accidently I removed programms that make my laptop run well.  :-[
Now, what the thing at the moment is that I cannot use System Restore and Driver Rollback and during log on and of I don't hear the Windows Tune.
There is an exclamation mark on the questionmark at the Ethernet Controller and the PCI Modem, at 'Device Manager' --> 'System' --> 'Control Panel'.
Programms weren't loading properly, it took sometime for them to load. And at times would freeze.
I couldn't go on the Internet, but then I removed and installed Internet Explorer again and I could surf again.

So I panicked.

I should have bought a Partition Manager instead, which I did now. But now I want to restore my system to the factory settings first. I was thinking of buying a new Harddisk with more diskspace, I think the maximum size is 60 GB. Correct me if I'm wrong, I bought my laptop in 2003.
I don't know what else to do.  ???

I have the Dell reinstallation CD's. They are:

1. - purple coloured CD --> Operation System, reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home  Edition Including Service Pack 1

2. - blue coloured CD --> Application, for Reinstalling Dell Inspiron Eurotools, System Software

3. - green coloured CD -->Application,for Reinstalling Dell Inspiron Eurotools, System Software

4. - blue coloured CD --> Application for Reinstalling Roxio Easy CD Creator,System Software

5. - blue coloured CD -->  Drivers and Utilities for Reinstalling Dell Inspiron System Software

I think that's the right order for reinstallation, at least the purple one first and the Drivers and Utilites CD last.  (and I backed up my important data allready)

I hope that with your help the problems with my laptop will be solved.

Andrew
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:32:39 AM by apayem »

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:11:13 PM »
I should have bought a Partition Manager instead, which I did now. But now I want to restore my system to the factory settings first.

Windows can delete partitions and allow you to create whatever size you want during the install. There is no need, and some risk, to playing with partitioning software.

I have the Dell reinstallation CD's. They are:

1. - purple coloured CD --> Operation System, reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home  Edition Including Service Pack 1

That is correct. Start there AFTER you have backed your data up, if you need to.

Be sure you have downloaded and burned to a CD, SP2, an antivirus and an antispyware program and have them loaded before you even connect to the internet, or we'll be doing this again.  ;)