Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virus?  (Read 3634 times)

Software Installation

Virus?
« on: April 06, 2004, 08:31:42 PM »
I am having a problem installing programs on my computer.  They install and the bar fills up to 100% but then it freezes, I can't even properly install an anti-virus program.  What could be the cause of this and what is the solution?

sierradad

Re: Virus?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 07:23:21 AM »
The first thing is to run Disk Cleanup (Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup). Get rid of files you don't need (it won't hurt to empty Temporary Internet Files folder, too). Then run defrag. Actually, it is best to reboot into Safe Mode to run defrag (just repeatedly press F8 when it reboots for Safe Mode option). Run defrag from there, then restart the system normally.

Also, do you have Spybot or AdAware installed? If not, you should get one (I use AdAware....free version). You can get it at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/  

In case you are not familiar with AdAware, I'll let you know what to do (hope I'm not repeating what you already know  :) ):

Make sure the following settings are made and on -------"ON=GREEN"
From main window :Click "Start" then " Activate in-depth scan"

then......

click "Use custom scanning options>Customize" and have these options on: "Scan within archives" ,"Scan active processes","Scan registry", "Deep scan registry" ,"Scan my IE Favorites for banned URL" and "Scan my host-files"

then.........

go to settings(the gear on top of AdAware)>Tweak>Scanning engine and tick "Unload recognized processes during scanning" ...........then........"Cleaning engine" and "Let windows remove files in use at next reboot"

then...... click "proceed" to save your settings.

Now to scan itīs just to click the "Scan" button.

When scan is finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it. .(Right-click the window and choose"select all" from the drop down menu) then press next and then say yes to the prompt, "Do you want to remove all these entries." Then close AdAware

I do this every time I go offline.

This may clear up the problem. If not, repost and I'll check on some other things you can do.

Reposting

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 10:04:54 AM »
I defragmented like you said and I have dowloaded and installed the AdAware.  But I can't access the program to run it and make sure the settings I want are there. IF you could tell me how to do that then maybe my other problem could be fixed.

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 02:28:46 PM »
So you were able to install AdAware?  How's your hard drive space and ram?  What operating system are you using by the way?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 02:30:24 PM by Joleen »

ram

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 05:21:32 PM »
I have plenty of hard drive space 55.1 GB free, I'm not sure of Ram.  I ran the installation process for the AdAware but I can't find the program.

du!

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 05:24:44 PM »
I just found the program, it was literally right in front of me.