Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to connect to shared folders  (Read 2811 times)

mindbender

unable to connect to shared folders
« on: May 13, 2007, 04:14:35 PM »
I recently had to reinstall MS server 2k on my server. Before doing so, my pc could connect to the shared folders on my server just fine. After the reinstall, I cant connect anymore. When I try, a login prompt appears, asking for an admin password. When I type in the admin password I use on my server, it keeps loading the login prompt, not recognizing the passowrd. How can I fix this so I can view the contents of those folders again?? Any help is greatly appreciated

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: unable to connect to shared folders
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:30:34 PM »
Here

Should be the same for Win2K...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:30:57 PM »
Have you set up the network name?
When you are prompted to log in, type
NETWORKNAME\user
(Where NETWORKNAME is the network name, and USER is the username)
and then the password

mindbender

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 05:58:45 AM »
Ive tried using the admin password when the prompt comes up, but its not recognizing it. It just keeps loading the prompt and eventually times out. On the server, I even created a user with the same name as my computers name, and put it in the admin group, and tried logging in with that account, but still no luck. There must be another setting Im overlooking

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 08:21:34 AM »
    So the reinstall on the server went ok, right?  Did you install over the existing OS or do a clean install?  Is it set up as a domain or workgroup?  If a workgroup, can you logon to the workstation (not the workgroup) change the workgroup name to something else, reboot, then change it back to the old workgroup name / recreated the admin account on the local computer?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 09:50:16 AM »
      try this software for a simple but works answer to your problem:-http://www.networkmagic.com/

there is a trial period before you must buy or the software is reduced in operations, but so far i cannot see the difference
      Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

mindbender

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »
      ale52:

So the reinstall on the server went ok, right?  yup, not a problem
      Did you install over the existing OS or do a clean install?  clean install
      Is it set up as a domain or workgroup?  workgroup
      If a workgroup, can you logon to the workstation (not the workgroup) change the workgroup name to something else, reboot, then change it back to the old workgroup name / recreated the admin account on the local computer? Ill try this now and see what happens. the one thing I havent thought of yet