Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mixed Problems: Explorer.exe, External HD  (Read 2155 times)

Mr_Hill

Mixed Problems: Explorer.exe, External HD
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:46:26 AM »
Hello Folks,

Gonna try and explain the best I can around the problems I currently have. Will be happy to answer any questions

My system is :

AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 512 RAM, RADEON 9200, 80GB HD

Its about three or more years old and used to work fine, with some minor problems.

However the first problem is that my External Hard Drive is running extremely slow. (Ex-HD is 160Gb with power cable into mains)

Opening folders + displaying the contents takes a delayed time of around 1-2 minutes, maybe more !

Burning CD's from the music contents on the Ex-HD takes forever ... good 45mins-1hr

I download/upload to/from the External HD. On one occasion, when moving files from Ex-HD to My Documents, it deleted part of the contents.

My computers browser is running slow, now my computer has delayed response times and is following a little in suit with the Ex-HD.

The internet is running quite slow at times, but seems to have picked up again.

When using the Ex-HD the explorer.exe process shoots up to 99% on average. I have checked that its the only explorer.exe process running, so its not that virus/problem. Sometimes it will react the same without the explorer.exe

The Ex-HD gets turned on when needed and off when its not.

Have recently opened PC to clear out dust as the fans were really loud, which i put down to a lot of building work in the house previously. These problems happened before i done this, and persisted after ... the good thing is the fans work fine  ;D

So far i have performed AVG (which is up-to-date) virus scan, CCleaner regularly, Spybot: Search & Destroy (up-to-date) and tried a reg cleaner from the advice of another. No such problems with those.

Just noticed that my Windows Media Player is now not displaying Videos, it will play the audio. The videos in question are MPEG's.

At my wits end, I need the contents of the Ex-HD but its unbearable how slow it is and also how the computer is being affected.

Any ideas?  ???

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Mixed Problems: Explorer.exe, External HD
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »
Right click My Computer and select Manage...then choose Disk Management.

Find the external HDD and right click it and select Properties...

Post everything it says about that drive and we'll have a looksee.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "