Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: (SOLVED) Nevermind!! Can't find second hard drive!?!?!  (Read 2220 times)

annieb727

(SOLVED) Nevermind!! Can't find second hard drive!?!?!
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:56:17 AM »
We have two hard drives on our computer...our second one (not having Windows on it) we used to store all of our pictures - from the last three or four years!!  All of a sudden it's no longer available - what can I do???  This is really freaking me out!

I built the computer a few years ago, so I know a little bit - just have to refresh my memory - but the hard drive is still plugged in!

Thanks,
~Annie
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 09:23:00 AM by annieb727 »

annieb727

Re: Can't find second hard drive!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:22:27 AM »
Alright...well I feel like a dufus...I trusted my dear husband when he said it was connected...it wasn't.  So it's working now!  I think I'm gonna find some DVDs to back up those pictures...it was too scary to think they were gone forever!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: (SOLVED) Nevermind!! Can't find second hard drive!?!?!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 02:46:33 PM »
Good that it happened this way and you still have your photo's...hard drives aren't the best place for valuable data.

What backup software are you using/considering ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mwr1550

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:37:10 PM »
This thread reminds me of my situation so I thought I'd post it here.
I had an older machine that suddenly quit working. I belive it was a main board problem because I got power to the machine but the only thing it did was run the fans. I couldn't get into bios and the o/s wouldn't load. So I borrowed an old machine from a friend which was running win 98 and stuck my hdd in it as a slave to try to salvage some files. My Old o/s was XP pro.
Well it worked and I was able to access my hdd. However, to make matters intriguing Because I had originallly partitioned my hdd into 3 partitiions, I couldn't access some of the files on the c drive. Well to make a long story short, I picked up a used HP Pavillion with a hdd of it's own running XP home, stuck my old hdd into it as a slave and it still works but with the same problem. So my question is this; Is there anyway to access those files on my old c drive (now the D drive) that has the other o/s on it.
Note: I cannot seem to get the machine to boot to that hdd. when I configure bios to do that and restart, tyhe thing just sits there with a blank screen. Also, I had the old o/s set up with me as the administrater and other users with their own desktops and files (like docs and pics) I can access those other files but not mine. What Up?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:03:35 PM »
Always better to start your own topic, but have a read here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421