Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTLDR problems  (Read 3739 times)

squeeze

NTLDR problems
« on: October 27, 2004, 06:05:55 PM »
ive been trying to install windows 2000  to my brothers computer, but I keep on getting the "NTLDR is missing, press a key to restart" error.

the 2k cd boots and it loads all the files, but when it has to restart after the 15 seconds I cant get into the actual setup screen where you enter the cd key, the ntldlr is missing error comes up.

Ive tried to format the harddrive, delete and add a new partition using fdisk, update the bios, nothing seems to work

NTLDR started causing problems when 2k was previously installed, so I figured a format would fix this problem.

Anyone help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!  ::)

Computer_Commando

Re: NTLDR problems
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 06:09:27 PM »
...Ive tried to format the harddrive, delete and add a new partition using fdisk, update the bios, nothing seems to work

NTLDR started causing problems when 2k was previously installed, so I figured a format would fix this problem...

Read this:  http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm
I suspect the cause is #4.

squeeze

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 06:19:29 PM »
I dont understand how I can apply #4 to the problem if i cant get into windows to edit the boot.ini

how would i access it and how do i know what to change to make the computer boot properly

sorry for the dumb questions

squeeze

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 07:16:05 PM »
i figured out how to edit it in dos, but im still getting the error even when i changed rdisk to 1..

i tried to copy ntldr  detect.com to c:\ from the the 2k cd but i get an access denied error ( 0 files copied)

how do i enable copying access?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 07:36:14 PM »
I suspect you have multiple partitions and the OS is not on partition 1.  Use fdisk, delete all partitions and start over.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 07:37:46 PM by Computer_Commando »

squeeze

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 08:03:25 PM »
there is only 1 partition which is set to primary

shield

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 08:07:35 PM »
you can always boot in DOS mode and extract the .cab file manaually and install win2k

squeeze

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 08:10:16 PM »
so i should use  the win 98 boot disk to get into ms prompt right?

how would i extract the .cab then install 2k? im a rookbie!