Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Faulty Motherboard [Heating Probe]?? Gigabyte 965 DS3 Pro  (Read 4571 times)

PommyTom

Faulty Motherboard [Heating Probe]?? Gigabyte 965 DS3 Pro
« on: May 19, 2007, 03:41:55 AM »
Hi Guys,

Recently built a system for a client with the following (relevent) specs:

Gigabyte 965 DS3 Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
Antec P180 Case
Thermaltake TR2 550W PSU
(if you require any additional specs please ask)...

The cpu has the stock standard heat sink and fan combo on, but with arctic thermal paste.

My question is this:

After installing everything and all running without a hitch i noticed that it is RARE that the heatsink fan ever spins... Only when the cpu is at maximum load does it ever seem to consistently spin. At all other times it is just stopped and occasionally pulses. In the normal boot up it NEVER runs, just pulses.
This occurs with different heat sink fans, and after reseating the cpu and heat sink etc. The motherboard has the latest bios update.

What really worries me is the MB cpu heat probe NEVER goes above 32 celcius... I've had it in testing under load (100% cpu loading) for the last 4 hours and it is STILL sits at 28-32 degrees celcius... The fan only spins at 600 rpm at the best of times.. Remember this is the stock standard heat sink and fan...

Is this normal for this cpu and motherboard? I've NEVER ever seen anything remotely like it, and my impression has always been the cpu to IDLE at around 40-50 celcius for dual core... Even the system probe is generally hotter than the cpu...

I'm pretty sure it is a faulty motherboard probe, causing the fan to fail and not run properly (as temps are inaccurate...) but wondered if anyone has/is having similar issues with this combo/motherboard....

Any ideas would be appreciated before i begin the long arduous journey to get the motherboard replaced... Hopefully before the cpu fries...

Any other info you'd like please don't hesitate to ask...

Best regards,

Tom

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Faulty Motherboard [Heating Probe]?? Gigabyte 965 DS3 Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 05:50:03 AM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 08:31:58 AM »
So.. Do you have any problems or not?

Because if you do not, you're obviously a blessed man.

;D

contrex

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 10:20:22 AM »
I wouldn't be so sure something is wrong. Sounds like this CPU runs cool.

Customer Reviews for Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16819115015

Over clocked to 2.1Ghz, ran Orthos for 18 hrs; max temp 38 C, Idle 23 C.

idles of 23 loads of 35

Cool, quiet and extremely fast...

who say this cpu run hot, it doesn't. The temperature never reach 39 C even in stock cooling, howevever, i bought a rosewill cpu cooler , which bring the temperature to 19 C in idle stage and 26 C full load, wow !!

Runs really cool even on stock.

PommyTom

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 08:26:23 PM »
Thanks guys! Great responses... I did some futher research also and came up with similar things about low temps (and much lower power than the AMD equivalents...)...

I'll be getting the flat temp probe, would be good to add to the arsenal...

Its just so shocking to find it at such low levels... I'll keep a close eye on temps before handing over to the client, but it still hasn't fried...

Obviously blessed...  ;D

I'll post back here with any future findings if anyone else gets as baffled as i am by this chip series...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 06:34:26 AM »
I wish i owned a chip that ran that cool.

contrex

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 06:58:15 AM »
I wish i owned a chip that ran that cool.

Me too. This thread has got me making plans for when replacement time comes around... I am running a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, a Prescott, in a little Shuttle XPC case, and it idles at 40 - 42 and gets up to around 60 at full load unless I set the fan speed to "deafening". I have had it for 2 and a half years and performance wise I am still perfectly happy though.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes

contrex

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 07:38:51 AM »
Here Ya Go...

That's like those Crays in the 1980s which were filled with Fluoroinert

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 07:54:50 AM »
There were actually a few that used Artificial Plasma as well...i guess Asimov was right after all.

contrex

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 08:04:45 AM »
There were actually a few that used Artificial Plasma as well...i guess Asimov was right after all.

Artificial plasmas (medical) are perfluorocarbons. Fluorinert is a perfluorocarbon. Just not packaged and tested for medical use.

PommyTom

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 06:22:39 PM »

compunurse mini temp probe on the way in the post.... Will have a proper test shortly...

eaglestrike7339

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
I knew that the P180 case had magnificent cooling, but i didnt think it would be that great. What sort of case temps do you get?

PommyTom

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 06:22:56 PM »
On full load the case temp never really passes 32/34, when ambient  room temp is at around 21... thats with all case fans on their lowest settings.... Having the PSU completely seperated from the cpu seems to play a major part...

eaglestrike7339

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 10:10:20 PM »
just a question, do the heatsink fans feel warm to the touch under load? Don't electrocute urself, and make sure your grounded, but if they are relatively cool then Intel has finally made a chip that can compete to AMDs in temp as well as performance.