Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I/O error replace disk on IBM 760xl laptop drive after installing win98 from DT  (Read 2356 times)

tubbydingy

I was able to install win98 on my IBM 760XL laptop drive w/2.5 cable and it works fine on the desktop , but when i install the drive in my 760XL laptop i get this i/o error replace disk and no prompt. i did download and install the APM files from leveno. does any one have any ideas.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:32:52 AM by tubbydingy »

contrex

Re: installing os on usb laptop drive from my desktop HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:33:51 AM »
Win98 does not natively support usb, so I should think it's impossible. Unless anyone can come up with a working link to someone's how-to. XP is possible though.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 06:25:11 AM »
And before proceeding further you need to find out if that laptop supports booting from USB...as it is Win98 it's probably an older one so i doubt it.
If the machine won't boot to USB this is an exercise in futility.

If however it does then i would get a 2.5" laptop to IDE cable and hook it up internally to the desktop and do it that way.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 10:06:15 AM »
Win98 requires being on the first partition of the first drive, which would be C.  ;)