Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleting partitions/reallocating free space  (Read 3105 times)

Carpenter

Deleting partitions/reallocating free space
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:39:22 AM »
I am using windows ME... the hard drive was partitioned into 5 partitions.(Not by me)
the OS and all programs etc. are on C drive(partition)..D,E,F,G are all 1.99 GB  each and empty.I used fdisk to delete F and G partition just to see if it would reallocate the space to the C drive and it did not, so i stopped. The F and G partitions are deleted and I lost the 1.99 GB each had. How to I recover the 1.99 GB F and G had and reallocate it to the C drive??. Also how do I delete D and E partitions and reallocate the 1.99 GB those partitions each have to the C partition?.. thanks for you help...

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Deleting partitions/reallocating free space
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:42:22 AM »
    put your windows cd in delete the smaller partitions and then create one with the free space you just got back..

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 01:04:58 PM »
    Or if you're about due for a clean install wipe all the partitions and make it one drive...remember to set it as active so it's bootable.
    FDisk will do all this ...no need for any third party application.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:16:48 PM »
    And unless you use some third party software that is the ONLY way to get one big drive, unless repartitioning the ENTIRE drive as Patio said.

dslgeek

Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »
      WAIT!  :o   STOP!  >:( dO YOU HAVE A BACKUP? When you delete a partition you may lose data. It depends on a number of things that you would not see with most partition software. If you value the data don't try to change the partitions. If the data has no value, just start from zero and do the whole disk with a new install.