Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help with restoring back windows xp media center dell demensin 3100  (Read 2308 times)

alligatorman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    please help me to restore back my computer. i was installing a driver for my Hp printer 3940, and in the midst of doing so the computer freeze, so i decided to remove the software and got into and and remove program and whist doing so . the computer froze,so i power it off and when i powerd it back it did not want to come on. al it says on the screen is strikle f1 key to continue or f2 to enter setup. i hit f1 key but it just wont continue. these computer dont come with re-instalation cd. Dont know what to do?? I certainly need my computer back

Alli

GX1_Man

What operating system? Is it still under warranty? Did you contact Dell?

All of their computers up to XP came with either a Windows CD to reinstall or a restore CD, or a hidden partition to revert back to factory installed settings. Are you saying you have none of these options?

alligatorman

Topic Starter

Rookie
      GX1_MAN,
       COMPUTER IS S WINBDOWS XP PRO. SP 2002. It came with no cd, all the manual said that if u have problem u need to Resore back to an earlier date or u go to  'PC RESTORE BY SYMANTEC. You press ctrl and f11 to restore ur system to when u purchased it. i tried to do that, but it wont work either. it wont get in there.
      They told me i had no Warranty, because i had purchased it out of the USA.
      Thanks for ur help. any other tip.???

Rasc

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      alligatorman,

That type of restore will take that machine back to Day One the way it was shipped.
      You will lose any other programs you have installed since then plus ALL your data so i don't think that's what you want to do at this point.

The safest method right now would be to remove the drive and put it into a known working machine with a burner  and hook it up as a slave drive so you can retrieve/burn your important files to CD/DVD.

At that point you can run the recovery software. Travel to the manuf. site for explicit instructions on this procedure...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

alligatorman

Topic Starter

Rookie
        collegues,
          Just to inform u all that i got a fix. The following day i decided to disconnect the usb printer cable from the cpu, and boot up and that was it. easy fix.
        I wish that every fix would be easy as this one . go to sleep wake up in the morning and that's it.
        Thanks to all those who assisted me.

Alli