Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox content blocker  (Read 6345 times)

Raptor

Mozilla Firefox content blocker
« on: October 27, 2004, 10:30:32 AM »
Are there any extensions avaible that can block whatever content I'd like it to block?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 10:30:52 AM by Raptor »

Corrosive

Re: Mozilla Firefox content blocker
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 12:23:50 PM »
I believe it already has some functionality built in. You can specify which sites to allow images, which sites to accept cookies from and which pages you want to accept pop-ups.

I haven't been to the extensions page in a while (and I'm too busy to check now) but I never saw much in the way of content blockers. To be honest, I reckon you'll need to find a seperate program to do this job. Try www.download.com

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 02:13:02 PM »
You can specify which sites to allow images,

I thought of that, however, I would have to browse each website with content I wish not to view and then put a lot of time in disabling each image.

which sites to accept cookies from

I only accept cookies from websites I want to accept cookies from, (Almost none), however, this does stop not the page from displaying.

and which pages you want to accept pop-ups.  

Firefox blocks each pop-up.

I was hoping I would not have to download additional software, Firefox its plugins are out of sight.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 02:13:49 PM by Raptor »

Corrosive

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 11:47:52 AM »
I realise it's hardly perfect. But like firewalls and AV Apps, this sort of thing is generally done better by external applications.

I think the only way forward is to maybe find a "suggestion box" type thing so you could put the idea forward to the developers.

Of course, even if it got implemented you'd still need to wait for the future version...  :(

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 11:53:11 AM »
Say.. You're a programmer, aren't you...?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 11:53:26 AM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 04:00:16 PM »
I thought you may like to try this>http://beatthecheaters.com/cookieselector.html

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 03:32:25 AM »
I have an extension like that, it shows me what kind of cookie I am looking at, I use Firefox to block cookies, never IE.

Corrosive

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 06:14:04 AM »
Say.. You're a programmer, aren't you...?  ;)

Well, I do know quite a bit of PHP, Python and... erm... [size=10]BASIC[/size]...

Actually I did try to find out some information on how to code extensions for Mozilla. For the most part we're talking XML, which isn't really too bad a language, at least in the grand SCHEME of things (Hah! Geddit! SCHEME! Hah hah hah... Erm, I'll get my coat...)

2k dummy

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 06:54:05 AM »

I thought of that, however, I would have to browse each website with content I wish not to view and then put a lot of time in disabling each image.

You are making things overly complicated. No need to browse to all those sites. Simply block them as they come up in your normal browsing.

I only accept cookies from websites I want to accept cookies from, (Almost none), however, this does stop not the page from displaying.

The best solution here is make all cookies session only. When you close the browser, all cookies are automatically deleted.

Firefox blocks each pop-up.

Works perfectly - as designed.

I was hoping I would not have to download additional software, Firefox its plugins are out of sight.

The only thing you really need is The Proxomitron,

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 07:41:03 AM »
I've had it installed but I'm too busy constantly saving the world to actually check it out.

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 01:10:34 PM »
Are you paranoid...on cookies...everyone is being spyed on...cct...car you may drive..bus you may use or the  tube etc ...who cares..maybe the graveyard is also covered by spy...cams...surf the net and forget it raptor...and this applies to all ..interested..
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 01:13:53 PM by merlin_2 »

2k dummy

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 02:23:06 PM »
surf the net and forget it

Thats why so many people need help in getting rid of virus or spyware problems. They "surf the net and forget it" untill everything goes to *censored* in a hand basket. Thats a bad bit of advise, security wise.

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 03:45:51 PM »
Not really if mr gates and co..insist on updates...which goes to prove a point that third -party software...backsup m$oft problems....which is crazy...people expect the software ...to do what it should..and need nothing but it...WHO  carries the can for m$oft.....another point.is msgates programers are still using oldsoftware as new on newsoftware...win3.1 on >:)longhorn..............why some folks think that when purchasing a NEW software is NEW not so....lynx...whereare you... verdict so far on longhorn the usual flash graphics...BIG CLOCK..still testing beta version...save  cash stick with the animal you have..
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 03:49:43 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 10:48:58 PM »
Thats why so many people need help in getting rid of virus or spyware problems. They "surf the net and forget it" untill everything goes to *censored* in a hand basket. Thats a bad bit of advise, security wise.

Or they never bother to learn.

If someone has heard of a (decent) content blocker, do let me know.

It's not security wise, but more morale wise-related.

Corrosive

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 12:34:32 PM »
Slightly off topic here.

Noticing your sig Merlin. Can I just point out that finding bugs in a Windows/Microsoft Beta is a bit like finding seagulls at a council rubbish tip: neither difficult nor surprising.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Windows, contrary to popular belief, is not the only operating system out there. There are (literally) hundreds of Linux distros out there on the net, or avaliable in the shops.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 12:35:17 PM by Corrosive »