Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: At Wits End!  (Read 3351 times)

sodataxi

At Wits End!
« on: May 31, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »
Hey Guys,

Really stuck on this one,  I have broadband from AOL at which is 2Mb/s HA! well no its not its SUPPOSED to be!

Over the past month or so iv noticed a change in the speed of my net,  so i decided to run some online download speed tests such as www.speedtest.net and it is telling me that i am only able to download at on av 130Kb/s which is rubbish! and i can quite believe this to be the correct speed as to how slow my net has become

I called up AOL and told them the situation and they ran some tests and they were adiment i was getting the full 2Mb of which i knew i wasent.. so i thaught okay mab its the DSL filters so i changed them all, still the same result, i connected the router directly into the phone socket with no other phone connected still the same, so went back to AOL and they sent BT to the exchange and they changed some 'parts' to fix the issue but its still the same problem.

However, When i log into the config settings in the router its self, its telling me its connected at roughly 1.5Mb/s but then its as if my computer is some what loosing the other 1370Kb/s its like this across the whole network and I really have no idea what is causing this issue.....

I have a Netgear Wireless Router DG834GT that is conected to 2 computers and a laptop. all 3 are running Win XP Home SP 2 AVG anti-virus and McAfee Personal Firewall

one computer is connected by cable and the other 2 are connected through wireless and all 3 produce the same results....

Ps I aslo tried changing the Router and still no luck, i also changed the cable connecting the router to the phone line

any ideas?

Soda

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: At Wits End!
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 08:20:02 PM »
    Are you saying that your internet speed was faster before... and now it slowed down? If so, how much faster was it before?

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 10:56:10 PM »
      Maybe they changed some equipment...
      Question: have you made the tests only in Windows? You should try the same tests using Linux (Knoppix, more exactly; it's simple to use and you will find Firefox down in the bar in seconds - in the worst scenario). Maybe your Windows is now in symbiose with some virus...

sodataxi

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 12:59:03 AM »
      Yeah the speed has come down dramaticaly hence why i did the test, going to try using linux and i doubt its a virus because iv run scans on the computers also tunred them all off and only used one station at a time to test it and unless the virus has copied its self(better bleeden not have) I can't see it being that :(