Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ADSL+2 Modem  (Read 4000 times)

Tufek100

Topic Starter

Rookie
    ADSL+2 Modem
    « on: May 25, 2007, 08:13:34 AM »
    Hi, I like to connect two computers together via crossover cable. Do i need to have two ethernet cards in one of the computers? My modem is Siemens SpeedStream 4200. When i first install the Modem i had the option of connecting to the internet via USB or Erthernet cable, i took the Ethernet way, so at the moment what is the best way to connect with this modem ? If i reinstal my internet config. to using USB can i connect the crossover cable that way, since the RJ-45 port on the back of the modem will be free. Any advice will be good, this is starting to realy confuse me, im going in circles, thank you.

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      Re: ADSL+2 Modem
      « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:11:20 AM »
      http://subscriber.communications.siemens.com/documents/4x00UG_English.pdf

page 11/73

3) If desired, use standard 10/100 CAT5 Ethernet cables to connect additional computers to the Ethernet ports on the Router.
      But I think you need a straight Ethernet network cable ("standard Ethernet") and not a cross over cable. In fact... It depends on router. Try to see if it works with crossover cable and if it does your problem is solved.
      If you want to use only 2 computers you may try their advice. If you want to use crossover cable between the 2 computers then yes, in a computer you need 2 network cards (and one proxy program - ICS, Jana Server etc).

Tufek100

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:31:09 AM »
        I cant open that link getting an ERROR 404 !

viking

Adviser
        • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
          « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:23:10 PM »
          I found that link from google:
          http://www.google.ca/search?q=speedstream+4200+manual&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
          And you are right, the link is now invalid :(
          But, as I told you (exactly from the manual), you may try to use both ports, USB and Ethernet for connecting 2 computers. And see if it works right.