Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer hangs on Microsoft update site  (Read 3384 times)

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

• A little knowledge is a dangerous thing-that's me!
    Computer hangs on Microsoft update site
    « on: May 26, 2007, 08:43:55 AM »
    I was having svchost.exe error problems and the solution was to turn off automatic updates, which I did.  There was also a patch from Microsoft to download, which I did.  I'm ok doing my own update, except that when it goes to the update window (checking your computer for updates, the bar moving from side to side) it hangs and it never changes.  Even to stop that window I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL to get out of it.  I know the problem is with updates, but I can't turn on the automatic again and get svchost error messages.  Any suggestions?

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and Internet Explorer 6 browser (since if I install 7 my computer really stops working). 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer hangs on Microsoft update site
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:07:38 AM »
    What type of connection do you have ? ?

When retrieving updates you may not see any activity for awhile which might make it seem the system is "hanging"....best to let it run it's course and finish.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

• A little knowledge is a dangerous thing-that's me!
      « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 10:53:44 AM »
      I have a DSL connection.  I leave it "hanging" for a while before I realize it's not doing anything, about 10 minutes - a whole game of hearts!  I know it sometimes takes a while, but 10 minutes is too much time.  Thanks for any help, patio.

TrapperX

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »
        You can also try this site  ;)
        http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/
        I use Firefox to do all of my Windows updates flawlessly  ;D

IM me for an invite :) I will try to do as many as I can daily if I get an abundance of them.