Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow Computer  (Read 2217 times)

program not responding

Topic Starter

Beginner

Slow Computer
    « on: May 24, 2007, 10:43:11 PM »
    Hi Forum,

My Dell Dimension 4700 (Pentium 4, 300GHz, 1G RAM, Windows XP Home, ) displays various problems. Lately it just runs slower and slower as my session goes on. If I reboot, it "resets" and things are fine until it again slows and slows. Websites take forever to load. Previously it has been locking up, particularly when accessing web sites, and I would get a message saying "program not responding". I have run spyware and virus scans, and deleted all Cookies. The firewall is turned off. I have run a Windows Memory Diagnostic program, and it says the RAM is fine. I must reboot the computer, however to begin the program. Since it runs OK at start-up, do you think the problem could still be RAM?

How do you remove it to swap it out? Are all of the chips on a card or in sockets, or do you have to unsolder?

Thank you!
    Mike
     ;)

TrapperX

Rookie

Re: Slow Computer
      « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 11:02:10 PM »
      What spyware and virus scans have you run?
      Why do you have your firewall turned off?
      Are you behind a router?
      Although you have run a virus scans, have you used any external one as your virus protection could be compromised.
      I use Trend Micro often http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
      Also if you don't all ready Spybot search and destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Ok now that is covered how many process are running when you hit Crtl-Alt Del, bottom left corner. Most optimized systems can get away with running around 30 or less so check that out also ;)  I have mine at 24 :) But I have seen a system with 72!!! you want to talk about a slow system.

Ok good luck!
      Hope something helps  ;D

**EDIT**
      PS. there is one other thing you can check, see if your IDE controller is using DMA and not PIO.
      Your saying what the heck is he talking about.... LOL
      Go to your device manager * windows key and Pause/Break key* (a nice short cut)
      Click on the hardware tab - click on device manager -  click on the + sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers - this will probably be different on every system but click on the controller device and right click properties.  whew these are getting to be long post.
      But click on the tab that says primary channel or click on one that has information on DMA/Transfere settings. If this is on PIO you need to change this to DMA.
      Just something else to check on  :-X
      Ok I am done and going to bed
      GOOD LUCK
      Till tomorrow         
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 11:14:41 PM by TrapperX »

IM me for an invite :) I will try to do as many as I can daily if I get an abundance of them.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 03:18:08 AM »
      You can download a free RAM tester at www.memtest86.com

Run each chip for 30 minutes by itself and then all together. You can run a preliminary scan with them both in.

Other problems could be heat and power supply problems. Blow out the dust while you're in there.  ;)

TrapperX

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:41:26 AM »
        Other problems could be heat and power supply problems. Blow out the dust while you're in there.  ;)

Usually that is one of my first thought also but he said that after he reboots everything is fine. I bet it has to do more with spyware/virus or he just has so much running and then he starts to open up browsers and I bet if he surfs anything like I do  ;)
        There is 10 to 15 tabs open  :o.

Best thing to do is turn off all none essential running programs in MSCONFIG from the run command.
        I can't stand how many programs are running for no reason after you install them.

IM me for an invite :) I will try to do as many as I can daily if I get an abundance of them.

program not responding

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 12:38:02 PM »
          Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for the help! I have Trend '07. It says everything is clean. I just installed Spybot. It said that there were 71 problems! One was a windows registry fragmentation? It looked like all the others were cookies. I chose to fix everything. It's running fine now. We'll see if it lasts!  The RAM checked OK too. I think I might try a fan next if it keeps running slow. Thanks for your help!

Have a blessed day!
          Mike

TrapperX

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 01:59:37 PM »
            Glad it's working now, and hope it stays that way  :D

imanidiot

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 04:24:05 AM »
            even maybe give your hdd a defrag have you tried doing that?