Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to reset computers video settings  (Read 5392 times)

im hosed

Need to reset computers video settings
« on: May 29, 2007, 01:08:54 AM »
Here's my problem. I had my desktop set to the max possible video resolution for my old monitor. Unfortunately, my monitor failed and I borrowed a monitor from  a friend that can't accept the video resolution that my PC is currently set to. When I connect my borrowed monitor to the PC I get an error message that reads "Video Input out of range". Because the borrowed monitor can not accept the video input that my PC is trying to feed it, I am unable to to view my desktop and reset the video settings through the control panel. Can anyone suggest a method for resetting the video settings.

Obviously, I could buy a monitor that would accept the higher resolution and fix the problem immediately, but I would like to know if there is another way to solve this dilemna. I would like to be able to use my PC with the borrowed monitor without having to buy a new monitor. Wow I feel like a dumbass

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Need to reset computers video settings
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 03:26:06 AM »
Does your motherboard have onboard/integrated graphics and a add-on
graphics card?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:37:00 AM »
Try starting in Safe mode.  If you can do that, then change your video settings and restart.  Getting into Windows Safe Mode

im hosed

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 09:54:55 AM »
Soybean,
Thanks for the advice. I was able to restart in safe mode and change the video resolution settings so that I can now use my PC with the new monitor.