Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Assign Media Player To Non-Default Soundcard  (Read 2707 times)

FogVilleLad

Assign Media Player To Non-Default Soundcard
« on: May 30, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »
I have Win XP Pro, Svc. Pack 2

I've just started using Skype and have it assigned to the default soundcard, which is the included sound chip.

I'd like to assign Windows Media Player to a *non-default*, third- party soundcard. Does anyone know how to do this?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Assign Media Player To Non-Default Soundcard
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »
    i dont think you can do that... why would you want to??

FogVilleLad

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:29:47 PM »
    I want the sound quality that's associated with the E-mu soundcard. But there's also a practical reason. The E-mu's outs go to a digital piano that has six speakers - doubles as a stereo.

I don't need great sound quality for Skype, and my headset has a two-prong termination that goes into the computer case.

So I'm hoping that there's a way to get Media Player to not use the default chip and instead be mapped to the E-mu card.

OK, got it! In Media Player's toolbar, I clicked Tools, Options. The Options Window has a lot of tabs. Clicked Devices, then Speakers. Voila! Media Player now goes out thru the E-mu card to the piano's line ins, and Skype still uses the on-board SoundMax chip. (SoundMax still shows as the default device in Windows' Control Panel.)
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:56:35 PM by FogVilleLad »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:59:47 AM »
    So your onboard sound chip and your sound card are both running ? ?
    Interesting.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
      « Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:19:30 AM »
      ummm... ok glad you solved your own problem

FogVilleLad

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 01:22:33 PM »
      I thought it would be difficult to assign Media Player to a non-default sound device. Had visions of having to go into an .ini file or something else that I wouldn't understand.

Being able to use Skype and Media Player in a convenient way is a real plus. I didn't want to give up E-mu's sound quality and it just isn't practical to switch drivers when I get an incoming Skype call. Plus, I've never had good luck messing with Windows. I like to get a setup that works and stay with it.