Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win98SE won't recognise DVD ROM drive  (Read 2323 times)

Steve80

Win98SE won't recognise DVD ROM drive
« on: May 31, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »
I want to dual boot Win98SE with XPpro, and to do this I have to install Win98SE first.  I have a new machine with an ASUS P5B motherboard (Dual DDR, S-ATA II, etc) and a clean HD which I have partitioned (4) and formatted to FAT32.

Trouble is, Win98SE (and earlier OS's) won't recognise the fitted JMicron JMB 363 PATA/SATA PCI Express IDE controller, and tells me there is no CD-ROM drive fitted.  The manufacturer's web site does not list any drivers for OS's prior to WinXP.

Does anyone know of a suitable driver - or a work-around??

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Win98SE won't recognise DVD ROM drive
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:59:37 PM »
The only 2 options i see since you only have one IDE slot would be A) move the CDRom to there or B) track down an IDE addon card with Win98SE support...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Steve80

Re: Win98SE won't recognise DVD ROM drive
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:35:56 AM »
The only 2 options i see since you only have one IDE slot would be A) move the CDRom to there or B) track down an IDE addon card with Win98SE support...

Thanks for that (though I do have two DVD Rom drives and have tried both), but do you have any idea where to look for your suggested IDE addon card?  My knowledge of tech specs is not good enough to come up with the necessary Google search terms!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Steve80