Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCI & PCI express graphics cards  (Read 2890 times)

Lynswin

PCI & PCI express graphics cards
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:30:49 AM »
Hi All

I am currently running Windows Vista on a Dell dimension 1100 with 1gb RAM and 2.79 GHZ Intel Celeron processor. I do not get the benefits of Windows Aero due to just having on board graphics (ie, no separate graphics card) so my 'Windows Experience Rating' is just 1.0.
I want to put a separate graphics card in not only to enjoy the 'Aero' experience but so that my system will run better as it does struggle at times when I have a lot of windows open.

To save me the trouble of taking the back off my computer, I went on the Dell website to see what spare slots I have in my PC and I have 3 spare PCI slots (apparently).

My question(s) is this - I have seen a lot of PCI Express cards available, so will a PCI express card go into a PCI slot or does it have to be JUST PCI?

I read somewhere that it is not ideal to have a PCI video card as a main video card - is this true, and if so, why?

Are there any other things I need to consider when buying a graphics card? Bearing in mind that I do want it to be able to run Windows Aero.

I have replaced a video card in my older computer but the technology moves so fast these days that I think I have got left behind a bit!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Lynda

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: PCI & PCI express graphics cards
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 07:58:32 AM »
My question(s) is this - I have seen a lot of PCI Express cards available, so will a PCI express card go into a PCI slot or does it have to be JUST PCI?
No, only PCI card will fit in a PCI slot.

I read somewhere that it is not ideal to have a PCI video card as a main video card - is this true, and if so, why?
This is true.  PCI is older technology than PCI Express and is a lower performing technology.  Years ago, before AGP and PCI Express, PCI slots were the only option for an add-on video card.  Then, a better technology, called AGP, was developed; AGP slots were added to motherboards and video card makers developed cards for AGP slots.  But now, PCI Express is the leading technology for video card support on motherboards.

Lynswin

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:38:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply. This leads me to a couple more questions!

Is it possible that I have PCI express slots and they have just called them PCI for short??!! :P Presumably the connections are different so if I open the PC I will see, won't I?

Also, if it is just a PCI card slot and I have to get a PCI card, will I be able to get one that will run windows aero or am I fighting a lost cause?

I am still a little unsure about having the PCI card as a main card  - you agree that this is not ideal but what are the implications? Will it only be apparent if I am running a highly demanding video game or is it really not worth wasting my money on even for office applications?

Finally, I am surprised if they are PCI slots as you say this is older technology but the PC is only about 12/18 months old? Does this seem right - has the technology moved that quickly?

Where does the AGP card fit into all of this? Are they different slots from PCI as well?

Sorry for all the q's but I don't want to waste my money on a PCI card if I am not going to gain anything from it!

Thanks again

Lynda

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 09:10:28 AM »
Is it possible that I have PCI express slots and they have just called them PCI for short??!! :P Presumably the connections are different so if I open the PC I will see, won't I?
COL.  No, page 54 of http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim1100/EN/OM/om_en.pdf confirms that you only have PCI slots.
I am surprised if they are PCI slots as you say this is older technology but the PC is only about 12/18 months old? Does this seem right - has the technology moved that quickly?
PCI slots are standard in all computers; this has been true for many years.  PCI slots are used for a variety of add-ons: modems, sound cards, network cards, etc.

Your computer was simply not designed to be a high performance system.  So, the motherboard was made with integrated/onboard video rather than featuring an AGP or PCI Express slot for higher performing graphics.

I believe you would realize better performance with PCI video card but I can't promise that you'll find the cost worthwhile.  From Microsoft: Windows Vista recommended system requirements.  Note the 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum).  If you're in the U.S., take a look here for: PCI Video Cards .  Here's a card with 256MB of memory that looks interesting: 3DFuzion GeForce FX 5500 / 256MB DDR / PCI / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

Lynswin

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:48:15 AM »
Hi.

Thanks again for a prompt and thorough reply.
I am in the UK so I was going to have a look on ebay for one.
At least I know that it has got to be a PCI with a minimum of 128mb. I think these are quite reasonalbly priced so I will take a chance and get one.

Thanks again & very best wishes

Lynda

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »
If you're in the UK, good on you, good to see a fellow Briton here.
Try dabs.com as well, they have some excellent prices on occasion.

contrex

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »
goes to show the truth of the motto "Buy anything but Dell".

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 04:46:16 PM »
Google shows a few results of people who have used PCI cards with Aero and good results...heavy gaming may suffer but it's do able...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "