Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Managing user accounts in XP  (Read 2175 times)

litlcntrygrl

Managing user accounts in XP
« on: June 03, 2007, 08:33:04 AM »
I have separate user accounts for myself and my boys, both are admin accounts b/c they are forever downloading games and it wouldn't let them download anything with the limited setting. My problem is, whatever they download shows up on my desktop and if I delete it then it deletes it from their desktop as well. How do I prevent this?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Managing user accounts in XP
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 09:12:24 AM »
    With all the viruses, spyware and assorted mayhem out there, I'd change their status from admin to limited user account.  Reason...with children it's hard to know what they will downloaded and install.  That way you have control what is downloaded.

What I have done is create a folder on the root directory (C:\) called "Desktop Programs", then put a shortcut on the desktop to that folder.  Next, I put the shortcut to any program that creates a desktop icon in the "Desktop Programs" folder.  That unclutters your desktop.  Your desktop is then cleaned up and theirs can have all the stuff on it they want.

I only run one profile on my system (no children) and my wife has her own computer.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

litlcntrygrl

Re: Managing user accounts in XP
    « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 04:50:59 AM »
    I understand what you are saying about the viruses and spyware, etc. I will most likely have to change the status of that account at some point in the near future, however, for right now, the only websites they download from are nick.com, cartoonnetwork.com, and sites such as that which I trust. Thank you for your advice.