Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-RW Drive Burned Out or...?  (Read 3683 times)

Germ

CD-RW Drive Burned Out or...?
« on: June 04, 2007, 07:51:18 AM »
Hello.  I do not know much at all about computers besides how to turn them on and type, so please do not be harsh with me.   :-[

I went to put an audio CD into my CD drive and after some weird noises, it smashed my disc to pieces.  After starring in sadness at the loss of my beloved songs, I found out the whole thing does not even work anymore.  My DVD drive still works as do my other programs.  (I think!)  Like I said, I do not know much at all concerning computers so my question is if I take this drive to get fixed, will I also lose all my files?  Stupid me, I do not have back ups.   Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. :'(

contrex

Re: CD-RW Drive Burned Out or...?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:31:04 AM »
You will need to get your CD drive replaced. It won't be worth repairing it, even if it is possible, which I very much doubt. A plain CD-ROM drive costs about as much as a Big Mac these days, if you can still get them.

You can play audio CDs in your DVD drive did you know that?

Are you planning to remove the drive yourself and get it replaced, (It can't be repaired) or were you planning to take the whole computer to the repair place?

Just replacing a CD drive won't damage your files, unless the repair people are unbelieveably stupid and trash your whole computer. If you were worried about that you could remove the hard drive and keep it at home.