Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Modem Issues... I -think-  (Read 2085 times)

anniebean

Modem Issues... I -think-
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:14:59 PM »
Hello fellow interweb denizens :>

I have an issue with my primary computer, the one that is used for school projects and... you know, a working desktop. I really don't know what this problem is though, and can't seem to find the exact issue through troubleshooting or browsing the faqs offered on this website.

I was running XP, and the modem (I believe) was netdragon? The computer goes on a dialup connection, standard jack in the wall but connected through a surge protector.

The other night, the computer was connected to the internet when either the house was struck by lightning, or very near to the house. I heard a pop and thought that the refridgerator had gotten shorted out because the internet and computer kept working and those were the only two appliances working.

About ten minutes after that, the net started getting laggy. Soon no page at all would show up, and it seemed to get slower and slower until it disconnected all together, and when I tried to reconnect, nothing. I checked the modem, and the computer says that it's working fine and dandy.

The next day, I tried another computer using the same phoneline, same jack, and it accesses the internet just fine. This is the same service provider, same location, everything, just a different computer.

Nothing else isn't working on this computer, the internet is the only thing not working. When I do get an error message, which is rarely, all I'm prompted with is that there's no dial tone, but this has happened maybe twice. It does try and dial.

I've picked my friend's brains, called the retailer where I got the computer, and searched through the faqs, but I still can't figure out what's gone wrong. Unfortunately, I need this computer up again as soon as possible so I can resume my school work.

Any help would be massively, massively appreciated. Like, sacrificing virgins and firstborns appreciated ;)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Modem Issues... I -think-
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »
Is this an internal or external modem ? ?

Either way it probably needs replaced...

If it's internal though remove it immediately before more damage is done. I've seen this happen with faulty internal modems.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

anniebean

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »
It's an internal modem. Wow, all the troubleshooting, everything, said that the modem was still working but I had that hunch that would be the problem o_O

I had no idea it could cause more damage than that though, definitely thanks for alerting me to that!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:21:52 PM »
You're more than Welcome....and it should be fairly reasonable to replace. I don't suggest WinModems however. Anything but.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "