Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issuses connecting laptop to the internet - $20 to whoever fixes this  (Read 3129 times)

symtex411

I am running XP on a Dell Laptop and cannot get the laptop to connect to the internet. The problem started all of a sudden when the only thing I could get to connect would be msn. Tried to reinstall all network devices LAN and wireless. Same outcome. Ran a reload and install of operating system (needed anyway), needless to say the computer runs a lot better, but still without connecting to Net. I can ping the computer. When I try and telnet to say www.msn.com says that is can not connect to the host on port 23 or 3404 either way. Since the reinstall of XP not able to connect to MSN. Hooked up a PCMCIA network card and see all activities lights with no connection to the internet. If you have any ideas feel free to share. I am to say the least stumped. I will throw in $20 for successful resolution.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 02:17:22 PM by symtex411 »

chassmith

Re: Issuses connecting laptop to the internet
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »
more info needed

what networking device are you connecting to?

it being a laptop I assume wireless... but what kind of wireless router is it ?

is it in a school or you home...

if you took the lap to school maybe you are set to go thou a domain on the school and no long abel to connect at home ?

if this not apply then nvm lol

if it is in your home you may wish to log into the router and chek to make sure it is set up correctly

the usual log in is admin//admin   witch you should chang right now or anyone and there brother can move in and take over your internet

anyways more info what where you doing when it "all of the sudden" stopped working ?

symtex411

Re: Issuses connecting laptop to the internet
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 10:54:40 AM »
I am trying to connect to both a motorola cable modem or my linksys wireless-B router at my home. I have another laptop that can connect to both of these, hense being able to post here. As of all of sudden stopped working I came home from work and couldnt connect to the internet just msn messanger. About a week or so before that I had tried setting up a remoted desktop on it from my work computer but wasnt able to get the connection to work. Then a week later couldnt get online. Have since reinstalled XP with the same outcome.