Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video card comparison  (Read 17089 times)

Chilly

Beginner

Re: Video card comparison
    « Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 08:15:57 AM »
    Here is a bit of first hand expierence for you; i used a GeForce 5200 FX 128MB, a 2.0 GHz P4 PSU, and 512RAM DDR to play BF2 for the past year.  i have had the system since 2001, forget when i put the card in, but it worked fine for me.  the decision is yours, just make sure it works with your motherboard and make sure you have the right PSU to suport it.

They didnt have 2.0Ghz Pentium 4s in 2001.

Wow, you're right. I bought my Pentium 3 667Mhz CPU in early 2001.. Pentium 4 must have been horribly expensive.

Of course, any new technology is expensive when they are first release :)

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 09:33:52 AM »
      Here is a bit of first hand expierence for you; i used a GeForce 5200 FX 128MB, a 2.0 GHz P4 PSU, and 512RAM DDR to play BF2 for the past year.  i have had the system since 2001, forget when i put the card in, but it worked fine for me.  the decision is yours, just make sure it works with your motherboard and make sure you have the right PSU to suport it.

Wow, you're right. I bought my Pentium 3 667Mhz CPU in early 2001.. Pentium 4 must have been horribly expensive.

That's what doesn't make sense.

If he was rich enough to buy a Pentium 4 2.0Ghz when I bought my Pentium 3 667Mhz, then why hasnt he bought a CPU since then?

Chilly

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 11:41:57 AM »

That's what doesn't make sense.

If he was rich enough to buy a Pentium 4 2.0Ghz when I bought my Pentium 3 667Mhz, then why hasnt he bought a CPU since then?

He probably didn't need one to play certain games or need more power of other CPUs, and besides Pentium 4's are still good.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »
        Why are the above comments all in quotes?
        It makes them hard to read, and they're not quotes anyway.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »
        I was wondering the same thing.  They keep including quotes going way back to many previous posts and also putting their replies inside the quote box.  Yes, it makes them hard to read and it's annoying.

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »

Probably an extra "(quote)" somewhere.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »

Well, clearly, you don't know how to properly use the quote feature.  Put your reply outside of (after, or possibly before) the quoted stuff, just as I have done here.

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 11:14:48 PM »

Well, clearly, you don't know how to properly use the quote feature.  Put your reply outside of (after, or possibly before) the quoted stuff, just as I have done here.

Yes... clearly.
            If u go back, it was not me who misplaced his "quote".

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 07:49:08 AM »
            Yes... clearly.
            ... misplaced his "quote"?  Don't know what you mean.  Anyway, you were doing it right back in replies 4,6,8,&10, but then, oddly, you started putting your reply inside a quote box.

So, based on your earlier correct use of the Quote feature, you apparently know that  merely clicking on the Quote button puts everything from the post to which you are replying in a quote box.  And, if that post to which you are replying contained any quotes, they will also be included unless you remove them.  And, sometimes, quotes embedded from previous quotes should be removed so that you're just quoting the actual prior reply to which you are directly responding.  The adding of layer upon layer of embedded quotes is just clutter unless really needed to make the point.

All you need to do to keep your reply outside of the quote box (the outer one in the case of layered quote boxes) is to put your reply below the last [/quote]. 

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 10:20:34 PM »
              Yes... clearly.
              ... misplaced his "quote"?  Don't know what you mean.

Then why continue this conversation when you dont even know what you are talking about or what is the problem?

Anyway, you were doing it right back in replies 4,6,8,&10, but then, oddly, you started putting your reply inside a quote box.
              Thats funny, my replies are 3,5,7, &11 and I used the quote box in all of them.
              So again, what the heck are u talking about, or trying to do here?

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #25 on: June 17, 2007, 10:15:52 AM »
              No, you've got the numbers wrong.  I stated the numbers of your replies correctly.  Your first reply was #4, as shown here:

As you can see, at that point, you were putting your comments below the quote box.  Later, you were putting your comment, your immediate reply, inside the quote box, as though it was part of the text being quoted. 

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2007, 10:42:06 AM »
                No, you've got the numbers wrong.  I stated the numbers of your replies correctly.  Your first reply was #4, as shown here:

True. Must have counted wrong.
                As you can see, at that point, you were putting your comments below the quote box.  Later, you were putting your comment, your immediate reply, inside the quote box, as though it was part of the text being quoted. 

Yes, thats exactly what happened. But it was not me who started doing it, and it was not my fault. Why does this matter?

And why do even care?
                You can debate anyone on anything, cant u?
                I suppose the more important question is, "would u?" And I think the answer to that is yes.
                But then, why is it yes?

Allochthonous

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #27 on: June 25, 2007, 07:48:11 PM »
                  Holy crap! I forgot to check on this thread.

I asked a fricken simple question and nearly started a rumble.  Is it gonna be knives or bare hands here?  Simmer down...yikes.

The debate over the video cards is exactly what I was trying to avoid.  I just wanted a simple answer, regarding those three cards in question.  I did not want a whole crapload of "you should get this card instead..." responses.

Yes, I am bound by budget.  I cannot justify spending over $80 on a video card when I am only a casual gamer and have diapers to buy.

Not only that, those cards were specifically chosen due to the fact that they are the most powerful cards that are rated for a 250 watt PSU, which is what is installed in my Dimension 4550 (the debate rages on with whether the Dell PSU's are rated too low and you can actually install cards of much later generations -- i did not want to take the chance)

Plus, my AGP slot (yes, AGP) is only 4x, so would a supercharged card really be of much benefit to me?

I am fully aware that these cards are not cutting edge, and IF my PSU had more power, i could "spend a little more" and get something better.  But that was not the question.

Anyway, FYI, i ended up getting the 5600 Ultra, paying $25 for it.  So far I am happy with my decision.  I think it will tide me over until I build a new system in a year or so.

PK

alexfue12

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 11:33:13 PM »
                  Meh, gotta love those tech debates, eh? The only thing that surprised me about this is that it turned into a debate whether or not somebody was using the quotes correctly. As few debates I've seen, this is the first where it turns into something completely different from the main subject.

Don't mind me, I'm just that geek who stays out of the way most of the time.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 03:15:46 AM »
                  Holy crap! I forgot to check on this thread.

I asked a fricken simple question and nearly started a rumble.  Is it gonna be knives or bare hands here?  Simmer down...yikes.

The debate over the video cards is exactly what I was trying to avoid.  I just wanted a simple answer, regarding those three cards in question.  I did not want a whole crapload of "you should get this card instead..." responses.
                  Sorry things got a bit out of hand, I did eventually just leave the thread and wait for you to return instead.
                  Glad you chose one, anyway, it'll do you well enough.
                  I figured there would be a reason you only chose three cards, and the $80 budget, which is why I did not suggest any other cards.
                  Anyway, the debate is over and the matter is sorted, nice price on the card by the way.