Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hourglass problem  (Read 1795 times)

redjoy

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Hourglass problem
    « on: June 07, 2007, 10:34:49 AM »
    I just got DSL, when I start & go to get into site this hourglass runs & won't let me. Seems like I wait forever. What could it be driving me crazy, have tried so many things.
    I did delete the old dial up account but one of them sd can't delete, could this be doing it? Thanks

The Saviour

Re: Hourglass problem
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 10:47:16 AM »
    Assuming you're using some version of Windows...

Go into Internet Options and select the Connections tab...

You should see a listing of your connections there...

Remove any accounts you no longer need except your DSL connection if it was installed from a CD...

If you need to connect to this account before browsing or sending email, make sure it is selected as the default.  If the connection is "always on" and you need not connect to it, make sure "Never Dial a Connection" is selected and then save your settings.

Post back with your results please...

Hope you found this useful.

redjoy

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 04:39:36 PM »
      there is nothing in Internet options & the DSL was not installed w/CD.Actually when I go to start menu I can't get into anything even outlook until the hourglass stops. I have a strange feeling it's the file I couldn't delete, says protected. Strange part is my DSL is Embarq, my old dial up is Ewol, on top of this page & MY Embarq page both say PROVIDED BY EWOL! What do you make of that?

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 05:54:19 PM »
      The "provided by..." is just a leftover from the installation from your previous ISP.  Nothing to get worried about...actually, you can just disregard it and move on to your slow boot problem.

If your computer is slow to boot, you might want to take a look at running a Disk Cleanup, first. Just use the default settings.  Run that first.  Once you're done, run a disk defrag as well.  See if there is any improvement and post your results here please?