Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop freezes during device installation  (Read 10030 times)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Laptop freezes during device installation
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 02:32:50 PM »
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
If you're interested there is a good guide to cooling down your notebook PC available here in addition to The Saviour's post.

The Saviour

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »
You're welcome.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 06:33:46 AM »
thanks calum, i'll look into that

Edit: The guide looks pretty useful, i'll try cleaning my laptop out in a few days once i get the canned air.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 08:50:18 AM »
OK, let us know how it goes.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 06:47:11 AM »
I didn't have to buy anything....i just blew some dust out of the heat sinks and fans and it doesn't overheat anymore. Now, it just freezes when it's installing the drivers and applications after the recovery.

This might be why:
"Due to the large number of virus and spyware threats on the internet, it is recommended that you disconnect all internet connections before reinstalling Windows®. After the Windows installation, antivirus and firewall software can be installed and then the internet connection can be re-enabled to update the antivirus definitions and perform Windows Updates. "

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medialess/MLXPH1/MLXPH1su7.shtml

I'll try the system restore again and disconnect my internet because often, it freezes while installing norton antivirus...(but would my internet still be connected if i'm doing a system restore?) I don't think so but i'll try that anyway...any other solutions may help

The Saviour

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 06:55:07 AM »
If you're still using the recovery program within the Gateway laptop...and it freezes when installing drivers, applications, etc., before trying to click anything or move your mouse, let it finish installing the drivers for your hardware.

If it continues to hang...then there may be a problem with the recovery program itself.  Using the manufaturer's recovery CDs are more practical...there's no telling what's wrong with the recovery program already installed on the drive.

Also...depending on how old the laptop is...flashing the BIOS may be a good idea...but only if needed...and only as a LAST RESORT.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 02:01:07 PM »
i tried the restore without moving the mouse or pressing any keys but it still freezes, and i don't know how to get the recovery disks

what's "flashing the BIOS?"

The Saviour

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 02:33:23 PM »
You can get your recovery CDs from the manufacturer's website...in this case:  Gateway

If you're not familiar with what flashing the BIOS is...I'd forget about it at this particular moment...remember...I said it's a last resort.

Purchase manfacturer's recovery CDs and start from there.  Once you receive your recovery CDs...follow the manufacturer's instructions for recovery.

pcs_hate_me

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »
I must've tried system restore almost 100 times this past week or two(because i'm stubborn/stupid).

Anyways, it keep freezing while installing norton, so i pressed ESC when it was doing that and some messages popped up and i finished the restore, i just need to download an antivirus now....

Thanks a lot guys, guess i don't need to come here anymore....for now.....hopefully.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 03:38:16 PM »
Here's a well rounded Protection Package for you after banging heads with______n's

Anti-Virus: Choose only one.

Avast or
AVG Free

Then each one of these:

AdAware

Spybot

AVG Anti-virus
(formerly Ewido )

CCleaner

WinPatrol

All the above are FREE and will give you as i say a well rounded defense....as long as you update and scan on a regular basis.

Good Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "