Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton Antivirus won't finish installation  (Read 6224 times)

Kataji

Norton Antivirus won't finish installation
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:25:54 AM »
Hi there everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

Yesterday I bought a Norton Antivirus programme from their website and downloaded it. After having some difficulty installing the basics already, I have now run into a new problem:

To finish the installation, Norton Antivirus wants me to 'Continue' and it says it is 'initializing the configuration wizard'

I left my computer on for 2 hours and it still showed the same message: the wizard never showed up. It says it should take a minute or so, but it's really not working.

Any help here would be hot (Y)

Kataji

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Norton Antivirus won't finish installation
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:37:16 AM »
What operating system are you using?

Kataji

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:55:26 AM »
I got installed I think now

BUT

it says that the 'transaction security (TS)' (literal translation from Dutch to English) is  well.. not there.

So I said ' Fix ' but it doesn't DO anything. I went to Advanced Settings and ticked the 'TS'-box there, but when I press OK, it doesn't change anything. It's just as if the whole button isn't working =[

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:07:09 AM »
Specifically...what Norton program did you download and install?

Try uninstalling your Norton product and reinstalling it...making sure no other programs are running in the background...including your firewal, if you have one installed.

If you cannot get the program installed...you may want to contact Symantec for support.  If they can't help...see if you can't get your money back and download and install a free antivirus program like AVG.

Link to Symantec:  http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/support/selectproduct_ts.jsp

The above link will let you select your product and provide you with the necessary support you may need.

str master26

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 07:47:43 AM »
    I think it is the norton 360 i had also downloaded it yesterday =p
    it may be a hidden window when it fixes the errors?

The Saviour

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 12:16:36 PM »
    Follow the link in post #3 above to the Symantec Support site for your product.

or see if this link helps:

http://service1.symantec.com/support/norton360.nsf/docid/2006112904330175?OpenDocument&lg=en&ct=us&seg=hho&src=hot

If it doesn't help...let us know, please.

Kataji

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:45:06 AM »
    OK, I'll let you know then ^__^""

It didn't work, i did everything the list told me to...

now they're suggesting i have to reinstall it but i'm too afraid that i'll be left with nothing!

yikes

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 11:39:03 AM »
    I would demand a full refund... and choose an alternative protection package.

Below is a list of fine products that will give you a well rounded protection package:

Avast or
    AVG Free
    anti-virus.

Spybot Search and Destroy
    spyware scanner

AdAware
    ad scanner

AVG Anti-Spyware
    trojan and malware scanner

CCleaner
    registry scanner

Stinger
    trojan scanner.

All of the above are FREE and highly recommended...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

The Saviour

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »
    On the other hand...

An uninstall and reinstallation may fix the issue.  Just make sure no other programs are open...including those running in the backround when you decide to reinstall the product.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 05:03:44 PM »
    On the other hand...

An uninstall and reinstallation may fix the issue.  Just make sure no other programs are open...including those running in the backround when you decide to reinstall the product.

So continue on with a cranky program that doesn't want to perform properly ? ?

Not me.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

The Saviour

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 05:06:59 PM »
    To each...his own...

Reviews:

PC Magazine
    CNET

Users have to understand that some products aren't compatible with others.  This may be why this particular user is having a problem with their installation.  While malware protection is a necessity...some people have a tendency to go overboard with their protection...downloading this...installing that...until eventually...they run into issues.

All one has to do in order to protect their PC is to stay on top of their operating system's updates...use a firewall...and install a proven and trusted malware program.  If they stay on top of these three things...and understand what it is they are doing...they won't have an issue.  Granted...not everyone knows everything they need to know about the software they purchase.  They buy the product, install it...then forget about it.

If they have issues...they should use their manuals...contact support...or use this forum for advice.  That's what we're here for.

This person bought the software...and needs help with it...that's exactly what I intend to do...if he still needs the help.

So, Kataji...I'll continue to help, if you need it, otherwise...do as patio has stated and return the product for a refund or store credit.  That decision is yours.
    « Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 05:27:29 PM by The Saviour »

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »
      If push comes to shove, call Norton support.  Hopefully you'll get someone that understands and speaks English well enough to get you thru the rough spots.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

dhinds

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
        « Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:58:23 AM »
        Well, as one who used Norton for 10 years until I saw the light, I felt compelled to add my two cents. My computer has never worked faster and more smoothly than it does since I un-installed Norton with the Symantec un-installer recommended by Patio. I use AVG Freeware and it works terrific. I still have to be careful about what I open as email and from what site I download but I think everyone should do that anyway. I agree with Patio, don't walk but run to talk Norton (the resource hog) back.
        Memories fade with time, replenish them with new experiences.

hareshjadu

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 07:55:57 AM »
          i would give you an advice that u must uninstall and use avg free version but it need update every two or threeday but it good from norton because i use it very much ago i got that it slows my pc then i choose  AVGfree version. you must try it . download from his site not from other .careful about checking email or downloading free software indiscremently!