Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: allocating space from one drive to another  (Read 2273 times)

sizemann

allocating space from one drive to another
« on: June 10, 2007, 07:00:53 PM »
i need help please,
i had to recover my son's pc (sony rx550) which has a 60 gigabyte hard drive using the factory sony recovery disk. after recovery i notice that c drive where all his programs and data are only has 15 gigs of space and d drive where there is nothing has 40 gigs of free space.i need to move most of the space from d drive to c drive.can you help?

Joe_Flanagan

Re: allocating space from one drive to another
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »
As you may know, there are several paid-for partitioning utilities such as Partition Magic and Partition Commander.
In windows there is Disk Management, but for greater capability, I prefer the following :

The free little jewel called GParted--LiveCD
LiveCD, meaning that you build a bootable CD and do your partitioning independent of your OSes.

This will D/L as an ISO file, a raw image file. Leave it on the desktop.
Now you will need an ISO burning utility. Many folks will use Nero (or similar) but there is a free and easier solution called BurnCDCC .
Remember that BurnCDCC can only be used from inside the Windows environment.

D/L it and put it in a place where you can find it quickly. Again, for starters, put it on the desktop. You can tuck it away somewhere later.

Once you have both elements ready, just open BurnCDCC and tell it where the GParted ISO file is.
Then tell it to burn and verify.

Now, with your new bootable CD and your subject machine set to boot 1st from the optical drive, boot to GParted and partition your drive.

Partitioning utilities are very powerful, so have a well thought out game plan before you start.
Keep your eyes wide open when you do this and of course have any valuable data backed up.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/burncdcc.html

You will find BurnCDCC to very useful for other ISO-burning duties, such as burning new Linux distros from the Windows environment.

Edit:
Had I known about GParted, I would not have purchased Partition Magic and Partition Commander.
Hmmm...I could always sell them on eBay  ;D

Yet another way to acquire a partitioning utility is to discover your Hard Drive's manufacturer (use Everest Free or PC Wizard) then go to that site and D/L your drive mfr's Disk Utilities.

sizemann

Re: allocating space from one drive to another
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 07:39:24 PM »
thank you jflan,
i will try your sugestions and see if i can do it.i will let you know how it works out. again thank you for helping me
                               sizemann