Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 98 SE...how do I identify my Network Adapter?  (Read 2993 times)

stevezygote

Win 98 SE...how do I identify my Network Adapter?
« on: June 11, 2007, 06:24:15 AM »
I have an OLD computer that just won't handle the bloat in some of the up to date op sys. So I have Windows 98SE on it. It flies and the op sys takes very little memory. But while a previously installed version of XP Pro SP2 installed and identified the network adapter in it (and I forgot to write it down) Windows 98SE hasn't. How can I identify the correct adapter and install it. Thanks!

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Win 98 SE...how do I identify my Network Adapter?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:09:49 AM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I think a program called Everest can help you identify this...

The reason I'm not 100% sure is that I used this program once to check a specific thing and haven't used it since.

Here is a link to a free version of it:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

The free version has been discontinued, so no updates or anything will be available for it, but still would be useful.
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:31:10 AM »
If the network adapter is a PCI card, you might also remove it and look for a model number or other identifying code numbers on the card.  But, Everest might give you the info you need.

Does Win 98SE show an unknown device in Device Manager?

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 08:41:57 AM »
I think it does... But I don't think it's very helpful anyway. Not sure, been so long since I used Win98 heh
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"