Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Optical Mouse/Tablet not recognized by Windows  (Read 2669 times)

ShilohBlack

Optical Mouse/Tablet not recognized by Windows
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:44:01 AM »
Hello. I run a Windows XP Gateway desktop. Ever since suddenly disconnecting my ipod from a USB port, my computer fails to recognize my optical mouse. The pointer is still visible but stuck in one place and the little red light on the bottom of the mouse still shines so the power is there. I have rebooted the computer many, many times, deleted the USB ports but still no luck. It doesn't even move at start-up. I don't think it's a problem with the mouse itself since I plugged in an older one (non-optical) to check, and it did not work. Nor will my Wacom tablet be recognized and it is installed. Not to mention its frustrating navigating windows with keyboard shortcuts. I'm also not sure about un-installing and re-installing the USB ports or Mouse drivers because I don't have disks since it came with the computer.

I'm not the most computer savvy person at all, so if anyone has some simple, understandable help.. that'd be great, thanks.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Optical Mouse/Tablet not recognized by Windows
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Do you have a PS2 port on the back of this machine ? ?

If so they sell USB to PS2 dongle converters for a few bucks at any computer store.

Explain what you meant when you say you uninstalled the USB ports.

Normally this should be done thru Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager...right clik ALL instances of USB roots and hubs and select "remove"...ignore the warning and re-boot.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ShilohBlack

Re: Optical Mouse/Tablet not recognized by Windows
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »
Yep, I tried a PS2 port for my mouse and it worked. Just no response at all from the USB ports. Windows does not even respond to a device when I plug it in.

I didn't really uninstall the USB ports, more like deleted them so Windows would re-install when I rebooted, but that didn't work either.