Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Extrenal hard disk in Win98  (Read 2442 times)

bartis.ervin

Extrenal hard disk in Win98
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:39:00 AM »
Hello everybody,

I ran into some problems and I hope somebody could help me out.

Now I am visiting my parents and they have an older computer with Win 98 on it. I have all my data here on a Hitachi external disk, but somehow I cannot make it work.

I downloaded some drivers and installed them, but my best result was when the device manager said that the disk in functioning, but simply I could not reach it neither with Windows Explorer nor in any other way.

I also installed a driver that works, but while installing I get the following text: "Specify the system directory of the Windows (...) contaning the NTFS driver you wish to use (...)"

Anything I write or browse it tells me that it cannot find NTOSKRNL.exe in the system32 folder.

Is there anything to do or it is hopeless?

Thanks a lot,
Ervin

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Extrenal hard disk in Win98
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 05:37:07 AM »
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

bartis.ervin

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 05:51:14 AM »
Thanks for the link but appearently the driver is for Win98 SE and as I am opening the installation file it tells me that this driver is not compatible with my Win ver.

Ervin

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 09:33:31 AM »
    windows 98 or even 98se cannot read  the NTFS or NT File Storage system,
    it would be better if you can get an xp computer and copy all the data to a fat32 or fat16 file system, or use Ontrack Partition Magic version 8, or the newer version as its now owned by Symantec/ Norton to convert the drive to fat32, even with an XP computer the fat32 is actually slightly different from the fat32 used by windows 98, there are i think 26 versions of windows 98 and none can read NTFS, and only the later SE versions can read any large hard drives over 32gb.

try this NtfsDos                       http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsDos.html
    it is regarded as the only software way to get win98 to read NTFS

or this ntfsw  a newer product from Paragon at           http://www.mount-everything.com/ntfsw/
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:18:08 PM »
    Thanks for the link but appearently the driver is for Win98 SE and as I am opening the installation file it tells me that this driver is not compatible with my Win ver.

Ervin

Sorry,I assumed Windows 98 SE.

Apparently You have Windows 98 FE.
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.