Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP won't boot and then restarts continuously  (Read 5650 times)

Soji

Windows XP won't boot and then restarts continuously
« on: June 12, 2007, 03:34:35 PM »
Yesterday my power went out while I was on my computer. Once the power was restored(several hours later) I tried cutting on my computer but it started to hang at the Windows loading screen. So I tried to boot by using Safe mode, it gave me these list of flies and stopped at mup.sys and after 10-20min it will completely restart itself. Next I tried the recovery console but then I got this blue screen saying
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME ***Stop:0x000000ED (0x89AFE030,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

It tells me to try going into safe mode but the problem above keeps happening(the restarting). I have also tried to reinstall/repair Windows XP but my computer never came with a recovery disk or Windows XP disc (it was already installed and I never had a recovery disk nor did I make backup disks) so I burned a disk from the Microsoft website(I don't have a floppy disk drive so burned it to a CD) but when I get to the welcome screen and press Enter it says it can't detect the EULA and that I have to quit installation. I tried it again but I pressed R this time to repair it and it goes to the recovery console. In the recovery console it comes up C:\> instead of C:\Windows or something close to that. I try to do CHKDSK but it tells me that AUTOCHK.EXE could not be located in either startup directory or CDROM drive. Type the full path (including drive letter) for the location of AUTOCHK.EXE: I have no clue where it is let alone the path for it.

I have a HP Pavilion Media Center TV TV m7360n (Pentium D 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 300 GB HDD) I don't know all of the specs it has but I know that the above is the model that I have. I just want to see if I can fix this without having to go to GeekSquad or without having to lose all of my data.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: Windows XP won't boot and then restarts continuously
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 03:55:11 PM »
    have you tried repair install??

Soji

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 04:02:36 PM »
    have you tried repair install??

Quote from: Me
    I have also tried to reinstall/repair Windows XP but my computer never came with a recovery disk or Windows XP disc (it was already installed and I never had a recovery disk nor did I make backup disks) so I burned a disk from the Microsoft website(I don't have a floppy disk drive so burned it to a CD) but when I get to the welcome screen and press Enter it says it can't detect the EULA and that I have to quit installation.

So Yes I have tried to repair install it. I was reading somewhere else about a problem similar to this, someone suggested calling HP for a recovery disc if that is what needs to be done then will I lose all my data from installing the disc?

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:11:17 PM »
      yes... if you reformat you will lose all of your data, but you might be able to slave the hhd and move your important files to another hhd until you get the computer reformated...

Soji

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:17:59 PM »
      yes... if you reformat you will lose all of your data, but you might be able to slave the hhd and move your important files to another hhd until you get the computer reformated...
      Could you explain what you mean by slave the hhd? I'm pretty computer illiterate so I don't exactly understand.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 04:25:17 PM »